Monday, August 2, 2010

August 2, 2010 YOUNG AT HEART-- ME







"Manifest plainess, Embrace simplicity, Reduce selfishness, Have few desires" -Lao Tzu

In simplier words : "NO NEGATIVITIS" - I didn't make this up It is on the cover of NY Metro this morning. I looked at it and then looked away. Looked again and said yes--It means no inflammation of negativism. Thus BE POSITIVE!

I received a card for my 50th from a patient. He thought after reading my blogs that I might like it. I love it. "LIFE BEGINS AT THE END OF YOUR COMFORT ZONE" - Neale Donald Walsch. I decided to put this on the blog today just as my patient, Mr. F took a phone photo of it during his appointment. It made sense to me.

Actually all three quotes are intertwined if you think of it. Life does begin at the end of your comfort zone- embrace life to its fullest, do not be selfish, have few desires and you will be positive. All three quotes in one. These are not easy to do. I feel you must work on each of these separately before you multi-task them into one. We are all complicated human beings. Make it simple. My first sponsor told me, "This is a simple program for a complicated person." I was complicated and in some ways I still am. But I am a different complicated person. I take things slowly, I embrace life, I love my hobbies thus increasing my daily self-esteem, I care for me as well as caring for others, and most of all- Everyday I think IN A POSITIVE WAY !

LET'S GO BACK TO BASICS... Human Anatomy 101

The heart is a muscle. There are three types of muscle tissue in the body: skeletal, smooth and cardiac. The only organ to have cardiac muscle is the heart.

The mammalian heart has 4 chambers. A human is a mammal so we have 4 chambers. Dogs, cats, whales, apes, et al all have four chambers. Does a fish have 4 chambers? Does a bird have four chambers? The answer to the two questions is NO- each have 3 and 2 respectively.

There are two upper chambers (atria, atrium=single) and two bottom chambers, called ventricles. The heart although functioning as one unit is best understood if you think of two sides - the left atrium and the left ventricle as one unit, and right atrium and right ventricle as the second unit. The upper and lower chambers are separated by the atrioventricular valves. On the left the left atrium and the left ventricle are separated by the mitral valve, and the right atrium and right ventricle are separated by the tricuspid valve. At the same time blood flows from right atrium to right ventricle and left atrium to left ventricle through these valves. These valves then close and two valves open up to allow blood to go from right ventricle to the lungs, and left ventricle to the body. It again must go through valves- these are the semilunar valves (three moon shaped cusps). The valve separating the right ventricle to the lungs is the pulmonic valve. The valve separating the largest chamber the left ventricle and the body is the strong aortic valve.
This is basic anatomy
To be continued...

Young At Heart

Fairy tales can come true, it can happen to you
If you’re young at heart
For it’s hard, you will find, to be narrow of mind
If you’re young at heart

You can go to extremes with impossible schemes
You can laugh when your dreams fall apart at the seams
And life gets more exciting with each passing day
And love is either in your heart or on it’s way

Don’t you know that it’s worth every treasure on earth
To be young at heart
For as rich as you are it’s much better by far
To be young at heart

And if you should survive to 105
Look at all you’ll derive out of being alive
Then here is the best part
You have a head start
If you are among the very young at heart

And if you should survive to 105
Look at all you’ll derive out of being alive
Then here is the best part
You have a head start
If you are among the very young at heart

That is me at 50 years old - I have grown more hair --YEAH

Lao Tzu is believed to have been a Chinese philosopher (a person who seeks to answer questions about humans and their place in the universe) and the accepted author of the Tao te ching, the main text of Taoist thought. He is considered the father of Chinese Taoism (a philosophy that advocates living a simple life).

No comments:

Post a Comment