Wednesday, August 18, 2010

AUGUST 18, 2010 UP, UP AND AWAY






"WE GENERALLY CHANGE OURSELVES FOR ONE OF TWO REASONS: INSPIRATION OR DESPERATION" -jim robin


INSPIRATION OR DESPERATION? Two very important distinct words. Have you ever been desperate? I nearly lost my life due to desperation and low self esteem from addiction. I am reading Portrait of a Young Addict. It is moving, terrifying and exhilarating. I could have written the book. I was at such a low point in my life, so desperate more than sixteen years ago that I nearly ended my life. Two things inspired me at that time. A 4 year old boy and 6 year old girl. They will never really know how they moved me from desperation to inspiration. But they did.

That desperation led me to a place of comfort and joy. It was initially a rehabilitation. This led me to a twelve step program for which I will be forever grateful. Today I live for inspiration. It took time in my twelve step program to get the inspiration. It didn't happen immediately. I started to feel better about myself, but I had obstacles. The obstacles were too numerous to count. Once I shed each obstacle, and I mean literally shed --I became the man I always wanted to be.

What inspires me? The yearn to learn is an inspiration. Art is an inspiration. Theatre is an inspiration. Dance is an inspiration. The ability to make new friends, culture the old friends and weed out negativism is an inspiration. Family is an inspiration. Growth is an inspiration.
My own art of needlepoint/cross stitch has been an inspiration. Doing this daily blog has been a great inspiration. The three greatest inspirations have been my growth in AA , my partner, Rick and my children. --Happy Face :) :)

As Ithaca is approaching I have to talk about plants. Every hard shell nut comes from a plant. We do know from clinical studies that almonds and walnuts have been shown to decrease the risk of cardiovascular disease. Less is known regarding the other shelled nuts. I do know that peanuts have increased amounts of yeast as they are grown in the ground. Actually peanuts are legumes not nuts. Let's stick with the tree nuts. I love pistachios (Pistacia vera).

Pistachios are a rich source of unsaturated fatty acids and antioxidants and are the richest source of phytosterols of ALL nuts. So why not eat them! Pistachio consumption has beneficial effects on lipid and lipoprotein concentrations. Yet with all that said, there are still few clinical studies on the effectiveness of pistachios on risk of cardiovascular disease. The hypothesis that the fatty acid composition of pistachios account for the mechanism of its lipid lowering effect was not studied until late September 2008 and published in April 2009.

Although a small study population of only 28 was used, I am encouraged by this outcome. I was hoping to see more studies this year, but have not read any to date. Although I must admit I am 2 months behind on my journal reading. Sorry!

This was the first study to show a significant decrease in bad cholesterol (LDL) after consumption of pistachios. As little as 1 serving/day of pistachios lowered LDL by 9% and 2 servings/day lowered LDL (BAD cholesterol) by 12% . When compared to statin LDL: reduction use, it can be stated that a decrease in LDL is associated with a decrease in the risk of cardiovascular disease.

The pistachio (Pistacia vera L., Anacardiaceae) is a small tree native to some regions of Syria, Iran, Turkey, Greece, Turkmenistan, Pakistan, and Afghanistan, that produces an important culinary nut. Pistacia vera often is confused with other species in the genus Pistacia that are also known as pistachio. These species can be distinguished from P. vera by their geographic distributions (in the wild) and their nuts. Their nuts are much smaller, have a strong flavor of turpentine, and have a shell that is not hard


PUT ON A HAPPY FACE

Gray skies are gonna clear up,
Put on a happy face;
Brush off the clouds and cheer up,
Put on a happy face.
Take off the gloomy mask of tragedy,
It's not your style;
You'll look so good that you'll be glad
Ya' decide to smile!
Pick out a pleasant outlook,
Stick out that noble chin;
Wipe off that "full of doubt" look,
Slap on a happy grin!
And spread sunshine all over the place,
Just put on a happy face!
Put on a happy face
Put on a happy face
And if you're feeling cross and bitterish
Don't sit and whine
Think of banana split and licorice
And you'll feel fine
I knew a girl so glooming
He'd never laugh or sing
He wouldn't listen to me
Now he's a mean old thing
So spread sunshine all over the place
Just put on a happy face
So, put on a happy face


Bye Bye Birdie is a stage musical with a book by Michael Stewart, lyrics by Lee Adams, and music by Charles Strouse. It is hard to imagine that the first Broadway Production was in 1960. Both Bye Bye Birdie and I celebrated 50.

The film version was nott until 1963.

Until tomorrow...

No comments:

Post a Comment