Monday, August 30, 2010

AUGUST 30, 2010 MAN....






"I HAVE DONE WHAT WAS MINE TO DO. MAY GOD SHOW YOU WHAT IS YOURS" - Saint Francis of Assisi while dying.

I have known St. Francis since I was in Catholic School. I became acquainted with him again in the rooms of AA as I read his 'Peace Prayer'. I am sure you can imagine him sitting among the animals. His statue standing near bird baths, or maybe surrounded by white doves. This seems like a serene picture perfect photograph. This is how I imagine myself among the trees, plants, birds, turtles and all the animals that God has created. However, I am more like the real St. Francis--a passionate human being, a revolutionary, and very unpredictable.

When you read about St. Francis you wonder how the Church put up with him. They didn't know what to do with him. The Church did not embrace his freedom, joy and radical ways. In a way, practicing integrative medicine is in the same vain. I am revolutionary. What I was doing prescribing Vitamin D in high doses some 10 years ago, is now what they claim will be preventive against cancers, especially breast cancer. He was adventurous, pushing the envelope. I push the envelope by learning, studying and teaching about herbs and other medical modalities that I know have a place in this stream of consciousness of medicine.

One of the greatest stories I have read is that he ventured outside his familiar surroundings. Outside where wild animals and social outcasts were, he met his greatest challenge. He met a leper rotting with disease. He could have run, he could have left all his money or he could have met him face to face. As he crossed the path he grabbed the leper and kissed him on the mouth. His life became real with that kiss. He knew he had to do God's work. I feel like this as I help the patients. I became part of them. I love my patients and I love practicing medicine. I know this is good, but I lose a piece of me every time a patient leaves this planet. I do not know how in his darkest moment, as St Francis lay with pain and agony did he find joy and peace. You see his joy in his poem, "Canticle of the Creatures" as he lay dying. He is truly a man among men.

Have you done what is yours to do? Are you happy at work? Do you go to work everyday with a smile? If not, you need to make a list of pros and cons about work. I do not think anyone in today's economy can afford to be without a job, nor without health insurance. Find solace, peace and serenity in your meditation today.


It is fitting to finish with a heart supplement after discussing St.Francis.
One of the most powerful supplements I have utilized in my practice has been Coenzyme Q10. I guess all are asking, "Is this supplement beneficial to the aging heart?" Today there is overwhelming evidence that Coenzyme Q10 can be cardio-protective . There is a study which demonstrated that 300mg two weeks prior to coronary artery bypass grafting surgery increased the coenzyme Q10 level in the cardiac muscle. Thus increasing the energy. I have used Coenzyme Q10 in many cardiac conditions. In those patients with a dilated cardiomyopathy caused from either alcohol,viral or idiopathic causes have improved their survival with high doses of coenzyme Q10. I have used 800mg for these patients with a low pump function (also called the ejection fraction) I believe coenzyme Q10 can be a bridge to transplant and should be given before any cardiac procedure. There are studies to validate its use.

Most of you know coenzyme Q10 as a supplement for the heart. Many use coenzyme Q10 when on a choelsterol lowering conventional drug, as lipitor, crestor etc. The reason for this use is that this class of drugs (statin drugs) deplete your levels of coenzyme Q10 in the body. I use 100mg - 200mg in those taking statin therapy. I have used coenzyme Q10 in patients with high blood pressure (hypertension) and well as those with angina pectoris (coronary blood blockage).

I have seen this supplement prevent a cardiac arrhythmia (problems with the electrical system) Many electrical problems happen when a doctor is trying to open up or revascularize a vessel that is closed. This is usually during an angioplasty or cardiac surgery. There are studies to validate the significant reduction in palpitations , especially ventricular when coenzyme Q10 is utilized.
So if it is so good, why do many of you not use it? Likely no one told you about it. More and more conventional cardiologists who are well read are using it.

I have seen no adverse effects. That is not true, I have seen bleeding with high doses (greater than 600 mg) in those also using aspirin or plavix. More of these problems occur with coumadin, a blood thining agent. For this reason since Q10 chemical structure is very similar to Vitamin K, I caution patients on coumadin who also take coenzyme Q10.

Whether you are a cardiac patient or not, I would utilize the three major cardiac supplements--Coenzyme Q10, L-carnitine and D-ribose.

`````````````````````````````````````````````````````````````````````````````
I wanted to discuss a plant that is Holy. I have already discussed Holy Basil, part of the Mint Family. Now to the Mandrake--the opposite of Holy --Mandragora officinarum. There are many legends with this plant. It is poisonous and should not be be considered in any form. The roots are thought to have hallucinogenic properties. I am discussing it because it is mentioned in the Bible. The mandrake is from the Family Solonaceae. The flowers are clusters of white to pale purple bell shaped flowers. I will never see a mandrake here. It is found in the southeastern Mediterranean.

From the Bible:
"The mandrakes give a smell, and at our gates are all manner of pleasant fruits, new and old, which I have laid up for thee, O my beloved." Song of Solomon 7:13(KJW)

These plants are loaded with poisonous alkaloids. It is said that the flavor is sickeningly sweet, but will produce dizziness, madness and death if eaten. The Mandrake root is large, brown and rugged. Some say it resembles the human body. It is said to be used in love potions and incarnations. I cannot understand this if the plant kills. Well, maybe you do want to kill your lover. Or perhaps the lover of your partner.

Evil is said to fall upon anyone who digs up the root of a mandrake. The Jews tied their dogs to the root to pull out of the plant from the ground. This way bad luck would fall upon the dog and not the Master. How clever.

Even my beloved Shakespeare wrote about mandrake in Antony and Cleopatra:
Give me to drink mandragora
That I may sleep out this great gap of time
My Antony is away.



Another plant which I find mysterious is Wormwood (ARTEMESIA)
TO BE CONTINUED...


Canticle of the Creatures
Most High, all-powerful, good Lord,
all praise is yours, all glory, all honor,
and all blessing.
To you, alone, Most High, do they belong.
No mortal lips are worthy to pronounce your name.
All praise be yours, my Lord,
through all you have made,
and first my lord Brother Sun, who brings the day;
and through whom you give us light.
How beautiful is he, how radiant in all his splendor;
Of you, Most High, he bears the likeness.
All Praise be yours, my Lord, through Sister Moon
and the stars; in the heavens you have made them,
bright, and precious, and fair.
All praise be yours, my Lord,
through Brothers wind and air, and fair and stormy,
all the weather's moods,
by which you cherish all that you have made.
All praise be yours, my Lord, through Sister Water,
so useful, humble, precious and pure.
All praise be yours, my Lord, through Brother Fire,
through whom you brighten up the night.
How beautiful is he, how cheerful!
Full of power and strength.
All praise be yours, my Lord, through our Sister
Mother Earth, who sustains us and governs us,
and produces various fruits with colored flowers
and herbs.
All praise be yours, my Lord,
through those who grant pardon for love of you;
through those who endure sickness and trial.
Happy are those who endure in peace,
By You, Most High, they will be crowned.
All praise be yours, my Lord, through Sister Death,
From whose embrace no mortal can escape.
Woe to those who die in mortal sin!
Happy those she finds doing your will!
The second death can do them no harm.
Praise and bless my Lord, and give him thanks
And serve him with great humility.


Until tomorrow...

No comments:

Post a Comment