Monday, August 23, 2010

AUGUST 23, 2010 GREAT TEACHERS AND HERBS





"Life's most difficult challenges are our greatest teachers and an opportunity for growth"
--unknown


How profound to think that life's challenges can be our teachers. But it does make sense. I have turned my difficult challenges/obstacles into positives because I have learned from these experiences. I never considered those obstacles to be my teachers at the time. If I think of it in this regard, I have had some of the greatest teachers in the world.

When I think of great teachers or mentors I have had, I think of Dr Robert Atkins, Dr. Andrew Weil, Mr. Blunt, Ms. Neary, Mr. Lombardo, Mr Sette, Ms. Greopler, Ms. Tom, Professor Laser, Professor Fuytima, and Dr. N Goldberg. Some of these were grade school and middle school teachers, one is a doctor from London, two are high school teachers and two are famous doctors. Rick has also been a teacher for me... a real honest, tell it like it is teacher for me. My children have been teachers for me. AA has been a teacher. Students I have taught over the years have been great teachers for me. Now, as I ponder here and write, my life HAS BEEN a great teacher. I never thought of it in this way. I would have loved to have Oscar Wilde and Sir William Osler to have been my teachers. Of course through their writings, they are. I am blessed.

A blog follower/friend handed me the following quote. She thought of me while reading the daily blogs. In the depth of winter I finally learned that there was in me an invincible summer - Albert Camus I read it once, twice and then again-yes, that is me. Thanks Catherine.

So in the same mode, I had a great teacher this weekend. Not the conventional teacher in a rigid , cold classroom. Is there anything conventional about herbalists? Am I conventional? Well if you are a follower you know I am far from the conventional minded person. I am always open to new challenges, new ideas and new aspects of medicine.

Yesterday I talked about 3 herbs: ragweed, eyebright and lobelia. In the past blogs I have discussed gastrointestinal health. In late March (30th and 31st) I discussed Natural Therapies for Your Gut and Herbs for Your Gut, respectively. We also discussed food allergies in early March. Actually all of March is about your gut - It is about IBS- Irratible Bowel Syndrome.

Irritable Bowel Syndrome is a group of gastrointestinal (GI) disorders that share a variety of lower abdominal symptoms. These include pain, cramping, bloating, gassiness and either diarrhea/constipation or both. Symptoms typically occur after a meal or during stressful situations. The gastrointestinal tract is sensitive to various stimuli, so stress, diet, pharmaceuticals, hormones and any other irritant may aggravate the colon’s tendency to contract. There are many treatment options, including the prescribing either antispasmodic drugs or bulk-producing agents. In either case, the practitioner’s sympathetic approach plays a major role in treatment.

Conventional treatments focus on relieving symptoms, but the integrative approach we use at Fratellone Medical Associates addresses the causes of various gastrointestinal disorders. As with many conditions, nutrition plays a large role. Food allergies can cause or aggravate most GI disorders and must be addressed to provide lasting relief.

Irritable Bowel Syndrome (IBS) is also known as spastic colon or nervous indigestion. IBS is one of the most common disorders that doctors see. Yet in retrospect it one of the diseases that patients are not comfortable talking about because they feel that the signs and symptoms may be embarrassing.

Some of the symptoms are:

Abdominal cramping
Bloating and gas
Diarrhea, constipation or both

As many as one in five Americans has IBS. One you learn to control the symptoms after some various testing is done, the patient improves. Although IBS symptoms can indicate more serious intestinal diseases, like Ulcerative colitis (UC), Crohn’s Disease, or regional enteritis; IBS doesn’t cause inflammation or changes in bowel tissue that increase your risk for colorectal cancer.

Other diseases sometimes associated with IBS include:
1. Lactose Intolerance
2. Diverticular Disease
3. Candidiasis
4. Celiac Disease

So, today I will discuss three herbs used for your gut. I will not discuss herbs for constipation until later in the week. I want to discuss the herbs that can be used for both irritable bowel syndrome (IBS) and Irritable Bowel Disease (IBD), which is Crohn's and Ulcerative Colitis.

So let's begin with Cat-Nip. Nepeta cataria (also known as catnip, catswort or catmint) is a plant in the Lamiaceae family. Remember also in the Mint Family is Spearmint, Peppermint and Lemon Balm.

Nepeta cataria is mostly used as a recreational substance for feline enjoyment. Roughly two out of every three cats will be affected by the plant. The leaves and the flowers can be used. It is used a gastric nervine, which means it is used for a person with nervousness and some stomach problems. Well, then half of the New York City population should be on Catnip. It can be used as a tea or tincture. It can be combined with other herbs. It will not stop your bleeding if you have Crohn's or Ulcerative colitis but is recommended for IBS.

The second herb is Chamomile. I know you know this herb, as many of you use is to fall asleep. I have tried it with little success as I was buying it in the supermarket. If you are also, you will need 4 teabags to get a decent night sleep. Yes I said, 4 TEABAGS.

Chamomile or Camomile
meaning , "earth-apple" from χαμαί chamai "on the ground" and μῆλον mēlon "apple", for their applelike scent, is a common name for several daisy-like plants. These plants are best known for their ability to be made into a tea which is commonly used to help with sleep and can be served with either honey or lemon. Chrysin, a specific flavonoid found in chamomile, has been shown to be anxiolytic in animals and is believed to be at least partially responsible for chamomile's reputation as a sleep aid. Chamomile is the national flower of Russia. It is known to reduce stress. The flora labeled "chamomile", all of the family AsteraceaeMatricaria recutita (syn. M. chamomilla), German or blue chamomile, commonly used in tea. There is a Roman type of this herb, which is another herb and family.

A similar herb to Chamomile is Pineapple weed.
I never heard of Pineapple weed until it was discussed by my great teacher, 7song Matricaria discoidea, commonly known as pineapple weed and disc mayweed is an annual plant native to North America and Northeast Asia but which has become a cosmopolitan weed. It is in the family Asteraceae. I do not think the name discoidea is correct as in class it was named Matricaria matricaiodes. I found to be listed as the later as discussed in school.
The flowers exude a chamomile/pineapple aroma when crushed. They are edible and have been used in salads (although they may become bitter by the time the plant blooms) and to make herbal tea. Pineapple weed has been used for medicinal purposes, including for relief of gastrointestinal upset, infected sores, fevers, and postpartum anemia.
The difference between using catnip or chamomile for an irritable gut is that catnip is a gastric nervine and can be used for IBS. Catnip does not have anti-inflammatory properties, whereas Chamomile does have anti-inflammatory properties. Therefore if I have a young patient with Crohn's or Ulcerative colitis, I would use German Chamomile instead of Catnip.

I could go on writing except I want to discuss the third herb tomorrow. It is Filipendula ulmaria. You will have to read tomorrow for the common name.

Top photograph: Pineapple Weed
Middle photograph: Chamomile
Bottom photograph: Catnip
Until tomorrow...

No comments:

Post a Comment