Sunday, August 22, 2010

AUGUST 22, 2010 A FOGGY DAY..NO A SOGGY DAY IN ITHACATOWN





"Life can only be understood backwards, but it must be lived forward."
-Soren Kierkegard


Understanding life backwards... I think means looking back and re-piecing your life together. But I know looking back on the past can often bring up anger and resentment. I have stated many times that I live in the NOW. Not the past, and not the future. I do not live in the future as I would have expectations. I have learned the hard way not to have any expectations as I have often been hurt. I do things because I want to. I expect nothing. Not even respect these days. I am a human being with human emotions. I do not want anyone to think because I am a doctor that I do not have emotions. I am human. I try to the best of my ability not to make mistakes. In the last ten years out of my sixteen years being sober, I have tried to take the right path.

When I was eight years sober I had a hard choice to make. The choice was either stay in the place I was in or move forward. I know now I made the right choice. If I would have stayed in the place I was at--I would have had a drink/drug. I know that. It was difficult to move forward but I did it. Since that time I have furthered my education and knowledge twice by entering into post graduate programs. I live forward as my meditation and prayer has evolved into a good system for me. I also have the gift of having a relationship with another human being, and my two children. I have no regrets, as Miss Piaf sings, "NO More Regrets."

It was a Soggy Sunday in Ithaca-town. It was a blessed weekend of learning. Last week I blogged about digoxin. If I would have checked my mail sooner I would have posted these sources of Foxglove from The Herbalist. One of the followers, and dear friends must be thanked. Thanks Jeff for the history of foxglove.

I have so much to blog about I do not know where to begin.

I wouldn't have thought to use two herbs for a rash that presents in my office. The conventional doctor will always prescribe steroid cream for this itch in addition to an anti-itching medication like benadryl or atarax. It sounds out since ragweed is a source of many environmental allergies.
I know now that my first choice would be Ragweed (Ambrosia), also called bitterweeds or bloodweeds. These are a genus of flowering plants from the sunflower family (Asteraceae). The scientific name of this genus is sometimes claimed to be derived from the Ancient Greek term for the perfumed nourishment of the gods, ambrosia (ἀμβροσία), which would be ironic, since the genus is best known for one fact: its pollen produces severe and widespread allergies.

The next herb I would use for this histamine response or hives after ragweed would be eyebright. Euphrasia. Eyebright is a genus of about 450 species of herbaceous flowering plants in the family Orobanchaceae (formerly included in the Scrophulariaceae), with a cosmopolitan distribution. They are semi-parasitic on grasses. The common name refers to the plant's use in treating eye infections. Many species are found in alpine or sub-alpine meadows where snow is common. Flowers usually are borne terminally, are zygomorphic, and have a lower petal shaped like a lip. The most common flower colors are purple, blue-white, and violet.

A very versatile herb that can work instantly for allergic asthma is lobelia. The strongest part of the plant is used. These are the flowers. All parts of the plant Lobelia can be used as medicine. I have used Lobelia before but didn't know it. I have heard that Lobelia can been used to stop cravings for nicotine, but recently learned that the above fact is not true. Lobelia inflata (Indian Tobacco) is a species of Lobelia native to eastern North America, from southeastern Canada (Nova Scotia to southeast Ontario) south through the eastern United States to Alabama and west to Kansas.

It is an annual or biennial herbaceous plant growing to 15–100 cm (5.9–39 in) tall, with stems covered in tiny hairs. Indian Tobacco is still used today. The most potent part of the plant is the seed as it contains the most lobeline, the main ingredient which gives the plant its pyschoactive property. It is sold widely in online herbal shops, and is prized among entheogen users. Its taste is reminiscent of real tobacco, acrid and burning, and it promotes the heavier flow of saliva. A common misconception is that when smoked it yields a euphoric "high" like feeling, when it actually produces a more relaxant like effect. Perhaps you can substitute Indian tobacco for nicotine and hence then stop the nicotine.

The main use for Loeblia is for asthma. It also sometimes called Asthma Weed. In Fire Island, an old timer said that plant material is burned as a natural bug repellent to keep away insects such as mosquitoes. I wonder if it keeps the ticks away also.

Below is for anyone who wants to go to the Green Nations Gathering.
THE GREEN NATIONS GATHERING
September 24 - 26, 2010
at Rowe Conference Center, Rowe, MA
www.greennations.org
The Green Nations are communities of people who love Earth, respect all her beings and honor the interdependent diversity needed for peaceful, sustainable life. We are herbalists, gardeners, farmers, environmentalists, holistic healthcare providers, spiritual ecologists and earth stewards who gather to learn, inspire each other, network for the planet, play and renew our commitment to live in beauty and walk in harmony on Earth, our partner. Ours is a revolution of the heart, taking action to make the world a better place for life.

Until tomorrow...

No comments:

Post a Comment