Sunday, August 15, 2010

AUGUST 15,2010 WHY WORRY--- USE L-CARNITINE



"When we stop worrying about unimportant matters, we can devote more to what is truly important."

How true is that. How many times have I worried about such nonsense things? My Stinking Thinking!! I used to worry about so many unimportant matters, then I heard this quote and said to myself, "Why am I worrying? What good is it doing me?" I used to worry about what people thought of me. Boy, did that one always have me in a mess-up. Then I would worry what people thought of how I carried myself in a conversation! For what purpose was I worrying? Worry is thoughts and images of a negative nature in which mental attempts are made to avoid anticipated potential threats. As an emotion it is experienced as anxiety or concern about real or imagined issues.

What truly is important is if I owe anyone amends for this day--today. I worry if I didn't thank God for a blessed day. I worry about my patient's health... There are some unfortunates who worry about everything. I know how you feel I used to be one of those people. I do NOT worry about the things I used to. That means I have changed. Change is good. Try for one hour not worrying about anything. See if you can start to not worry everyday for one hour. It does work.

I was discussing L-carnitine in yesterday's blog. I want to continue with L-carnitine and then move to other nutritional support for the heart. Remember that the heart is a form of muscle. It is cardiac muscle. I have to get into a little biochemistry for you to understand why carnitine is important to the heart. The primary function of carnitine is the transport of fatty acids to the inner mitochondrial membrane where they are burned for fuel. Our human heart gets 60% of its fuel from fat so those with heart disease need to maximize the fat.

Using L-carnitine will help patients with heart disease. It is simple as that! Therefore L-carnitine can be used for individuals with angina pectoris. The most common cause of chest pain (angina) is the partial blockage of a coronary artery. The coronary arteries supply blood to the heart. L-carnitine limits angina pectoris by its metabolic effects. Studies have shown benefit in exercise tolerance with as low as 900mg of L-carnitine. I usually give upwards of 2,500 mg of L-carnitine for most of my cardiac patients. There has even been a reduction in extra ectopic ventricular beats in patients using L-carnitine versus the group that didn't use L-carnitine.

I do not understand why conventional cardiologists do not use L-carnitine. Many of these studies have been published in peer review journals (Circulation and Journal of the American College of Cardiology). There are smaller studies on the benefit of L-carnitine for CHF. Those with CHF using L-carnitine did have benefit, but I feel more studies need to be done. There are even studies using L-carnitine in those patients with peripheral artery disease who have intermittent claudication (squeezing of their legs when the patients walk). The data does show that L-carnitine supplementation has been used for the prevention and treatment of a wide variety of cardiovascular conditions.

V S Gulevich and R Krimberg first discovered L-Carnitine in muscle extracts in 1905. Its chemical structure was confirmed in 1927, but it was not until the 1950s that Gottfried Samuel Fraenkel discovered the role of the substance in fat oxidization.

Something we all enjoy today that was initially discovered in 1905 is The Movie Theater. The Pittsburgh movie theater owners Harry Davis and John Harris also established the first of what would become a popular form of movie theaters spread throughout the country, which were five-cent nickelodeon movies.

The photograph above is a famous theater in NYC. It was named for an individual of the theater. As said in Funny Girl, "Who would name their son Florence? Or is it Florenz?"
He did marry the Good Witch- Glenda, so I forgive his mother.

Until tomorrow...

No comments:

Post a Comment