Sunday, August 29, 2010

AUGUST 29, 2010 QUACK, QUACK = 2 2










"SOMETIMES WE HAVE TO RISK TAKING A DIFFERENT PATH IN ORDER TO ARRIVE AT A DIFFERENT DESTINATION"

I didn't risk taking a different path when I arrived at the hospital on August 29, 1988. Life changed at that moment. A beautiful baby girl was born--Alysa Marie Fratellone. I had wanted to name her Alexandria, but I was outvoted at that time. It was my princess Alexandria, as Grace Kelly was named in her last movie, The Swan with Alec Guiness. We settled on the name Alyssa Marie. I could have posted her baby pictures but I knew she would be upset. I have tried to the best of my ability to be a good father. Any child that lives in divided homes during her childhood will have some misunderstandings through the years. I am sure some is anger, but this was life. It was life on life's terms.

We have shared together the best and worst of times. I will honestly tell you that at times we do not get along. I believe this is due to the fact that we are both stubborn Italians. Her brother, Gregory will certainly agree on this fact.

It is a responsibility to care for children. That started the moment this precious little girl entered the world. Most gay men do not know what it is to have a child. I have been fortunate. I am grateful. Last year on her 21st, Alyssa and I spent a wonderful birthday in Las Vegas, Nevada. We got to spend some quality father-daughter time together. Bette Midler, Donny and Marie and Joan Rivers. As she gets older, the father-daughter time gets put aside by patients, hospital, relationships, volunteering in Fire Island and just plain life. But she is always first in my heart and mind.

So in a way I took a different path in order to arrive at a different destination. I am a grateful father and friend to Alyssa. In regards to how I practice medicine I also have taken a risk down a different path. This different path has allowed me to be a diverse physician. This risk, far from conventional has allowed me to be down this different path which is more prevention than ever anticipated. This different path has taken me from conventional medicine to the herbs and supplements I always talk about.

None of the above could have been undertaken without the guidance of a Higher Power and the rooms of AA. I am still learning to be a different father- one who could relate to a daughter in the 21st century. I am open minded to most of what life has to offer.

I today came to realize that I appreciate the nature of every where I go. In Virginia this weekend I got to appreciate the nature. The purple martins, the verbena, the crepe myrtles and salamanders have made my trip unique.

How do you make every new place you visit different? Have you ever thought to identify the birds of your destination? or the plants, shrubs and flowers?
Try something new. Boost your self esteem, get a hobby!! I think bird watching and plant identification is a great start.

By the way, Happy Birthday dearest daughter, Alyssa

Until tomorrow...

No comments:

Post a Comment