Saturday, August 28, 2010

AUGUST 28,2010 NEW PROFESSION: LANDSCAPER





"Never underestimate the power of your presence nor your ability to comfort and encourage."

It has taken me quite a long time to believe in myself to understand the quote. It is fitting it comes at the end of the summer season in Fire Island. I came back to the island in a different community some five years ago. Both Rick and I together can do just about anything. And we did. We decided together to fundraise for the nonprofit Doctor's Fund. We are proud to say we did what we started. The problem is that in any community or any organization, the same people always do the work. It makes me think of the Knights of Columbus, where my father was Grand Knight and my mother a Columbette. There was always the same group of people doing the work. Things do not change some forty years later. Different time, different people, different community project.

We love the serenity and beauty of the island. You just have to know how to stay out of the drama. I don't any longer underestimate the power of my presence as the doctor. I took the job seriously as Rick did his position of the board. My job also extended to the plants. See it always comes back to the plants. I decided single handedly to clean the front of the house. I cut, planted, and weeded. Also every morning in those years I went to the beach to collect rocks from the sea. Nature is nature no matter where it comes from.

What did I learn is I am a good doctor. People might say a great doctor but I never took praise well. Today, I can. I also have been a comfort to those in need, medically and psychologically. I can also encourage.

So back to the plants. I was a landscaper. A different time, but Rick and I became landscapers today in Suffolk, Virginia. We cut, planted and weeded. Oh yes we also mulched the yard. I have taken interest in the plants, shrubs and trees of Virginia.

Never underestimate the power of your presence. This is important for you to gain self esteem. You should be an example of power. All of us also provide some sort of comfort. By your efforts you will also be able to encourage. I hope and pray my writing encourages each of you--to learn. Learning is a powerful aspect of life. I never want to stop learning.

We mulched around the Crepe Myrtles. The botanical name is Lagerstroemia indica. Crepe myrtle is a deciduous, vase-shaped tree about 6 - 8 m (about 18-25 ft.) tall with a 5 m (about 15 ft) spread. Crepe Myrtles are plants for all seasons. They flower in late summer with clusters of white, pink, lavender or deep red crepe-like blooms. In autumn, the leaves change color before dropping. Autumn foliage color depends on the variety grown but may range from yellow and copper bronze or orange-red to dark red. Crepe myrtles have many good points, one of which is beautiful flowers till autumn. These trees also get better with age, as the trunk develops a wonderful appearance and the bark exfoliates in summer to give a gorgeous look with patches of pink, grey and brown. During the winter months the beauty of the smooth silver and gold colored bark can be appreciated. Rick and I must find out if the Crepe Myrtle will grow in Fire Island.

If you have been following the blog, you will have noticed that my hair length changes quicker than the seasons. This is due to the fact that I have been using Field Horsetail --- Equisetum arvense (Horsetail family, Equisetaceae).

Horsetail (Equisetum arvense) is an herbal remedy dating back to at least ancient Roman and Greek medicine. It was used traditionally to stop bleeding, heal ulcers and wounds, and treat tuberculosis and kidney problems. The name Equisetum is derived from the Latin roots equus, meaning "horse," and seta, meaning "bristle."

Horsetail contains silicon, which plays a role in strengthening bone. For that reason, it is sometimes suggested as a treatment for osteoporosis. I know silica is needed for strong nails and hair support. Rubbing the tincture on my scalp is amazing. It has started new hair growth. I wasn't losing my hair in all areas, but I felt the Pope and I had something in common--his red beret was the same size of my bald spot. No longer. I also take many hair supplements. These include MSM, cysteine and silica. Some use silica separately, but I use it in the hair formula from Longevity Nutritionals. In addition a wise old black woman told me use Fennel seeds in my salad to encourage more hair. She was correct. I love the old remedies from the past. This is part of the reason I love plant history. There is so much to learn from plants.

Horsetail is an astringent herb and has a diuretic action. It has an affinity for the urinary tract where it can be used to sooth inflammation. I have used it to treat kidney stones, cystitis and prostatitis.

I have included the crepe myrtles in a photograph, field horsetail and a surprise from the wild flowers of Virginia--Wild Germanium.

Until tomorrow...

No comments:

Post a Comment