Friday, December 17, 2010

DECEMBER 17, 2010 LIGURIA, PESTO AND LOV E




“Life is full of beauty. Notice it. Notice the bumble bee, the small child, and the smiling faces. Smell the rain, and feel the wind. Live your life to the fullest potential, and fight for your dreams.”
Ashley Smith

The quote sums up my feelings for today. The wind, a smile, the rain and a bumble bee in one single quote. It only forgot the plants. I am trying to live my life to the fullest potential. I fall short sometimes. Who doesn't fall short ? I feel as long as I tried my best with my heart and soul, I am content that I did the best of my ability. As a parent, I want my children to live their lives to their fullest potential. I do not necessarily tell them to fight for their dreams, but shoot for the stars. You never know. Have you fulfilled your dream in life? Do you think you are where you should be at your age ? I do not think you always have to be where you thought you should be. It is not in your time. It is not determined by you. It is determined by 'someone' greater than you. Whomever and Whatever you chose to call him/her. This is where meditation and prayer play a role in my life and hopefully in your life.


As the year comes to a close in fourteen days, I want to express my thanks, gratitude and love to every individual who ever opens these pages. For me this year has been a fascinating journey. I feel in love all over again except this time it was with plants. My herbal sense and appreciation has been mainly limited to cardiac herbs and from my childhood of watching my family use herbs in a culinary vein. I imagine all the people of the world using herbs medicinally allowing Mother Earth to sustain our longevity. Remember when we all used pay phones, banks and typewriters ? Can you imagine your great grandparents digging roots of plants/weeds from the ground ? Or hanging garlic in the kitchen ? It is a time lost in pages of books or in memories of your mind. I never thought that I would be buying seeds for the upcoming spring/summer for the garden. I am even buying plants that the bees will love and the butterflies will be attracted to. I am making a conscious effort to savour the moment. I feel the same way when I sip chamomile or lemon balm tea.
Since reading this blog have you tried a different herbal tea ? Many of your ailments can be dissipated by drinking a tea.
Yesterday a patient presented me with nutmeg, Cinnamon and turmeric from her homeland, the Spice Island, Grenada. That certainly conjured up many memories.

There are many herbs to start thinking about for your garden in 2011. I was going to discuss Stevia rebaudiana Bertoni, but there is too much politics with the FDA involvement of this plant. So, I settled on Levisticum officinale. I have never heard of this plant, nor have eve3r used it. This is my learning experience. It is commonly called Lovage. Since it almost spells 'love' I thought i research this herb. I must find it and taste it as books describe it as a taste between celery and parsley( which I love) and the roots, stems , leaves and flowers are edible. How delicious it would taste in a salad.
Lovage tea can be applied to wounds as an antiseptic, or drunk to stimulate digestion. The seeds can be used as a spice, similar to fennel seeds. In the UK, lovage cordial was traditionally mixed with brandy in the ratio of 2:1 as a winter drink. Lovage is second only to capers in its quercetin content. So it contains the essential bioflavinoids-- a great anti oxidant.

I knew I was drawn to this herb because the Italians have used it extensively in Liguria. Liguria is a coastal region of north-western Italy, the third smallest of the Italian regions. Its capital is Genoa. It is a popular region with tourists for its beautiful beaches, picturesque little towns, and food. Lovage used to be grown extensively in this region.
The capital Genoa, one of the most important ports in the Mediterranean and home to Christopher Columbus Today one can find impressive buildings, elegant mansions, and wonderful churches . An intact and luxuriant Mediterranean vegetation exists in the mountain regions of Portofino and Cinque Terre.

Liguria is where pesto is originally from, one of the most popular sauces in Italian cuisine. Now this is the real reason I love 'LOVAGE'

I also LOVE TO DREAM
DREAM BY JOHNNY MERCER

Get in touch with that sundown fellow
As he tiptoes across the sand
He’s got a million kinds of stardust
Pick you fav’rite brand, and

Dream, when you’re feeling blue
Dream, that’s the thing to do
Just watch the smoke rings rise in the air
You’ll find your share of memories there

So dream when the day is through
Dream, and they might come true
Things never are as bad as they seem
So dream, dream, dream

No comments:

Post a Comment