Wednesday, December 8, 2010

DECEMBER 8, 2010 WE NEED A LITTLE CHRISTMAS








“I am not alone at all, I thought. I was never alone at all. And that, of course, is the message of Christmas. We are never alone. Not when the night is darkest, the wind coldest, the world seemingly most indifferent. For this is still the time God chooses.”
Taylor Caldwell


“Christmas is not a time nor a season, but a state of mind. To cherish peace and goodwill, to be plenteous in mercy, is to have the real spirit of Christmas.”
Calvin Coolidge - American 30th President of the United States, 1872-1933


Yes, "We Need a Little Christmas" This time of year as the all religious Holidays approach,we often reflect about the past. It can be sad, especially if there is the first year without a loved one. The loss of any individual is difficult. I can relate to the loss of parents and grandparents. It has been studied that the loss of a child is one of the greatest losses followed by the loss of a partner/spouse. I cannot relate to those latter losses at this time in my life. There is always a void for me at the Holidays. I remember those 'Christmases Past' with an abundance of family, food, fish, pasta, desserts and presents.
Family is an important aspect of life. As I get older, I realize that my family has expanded to those few family members still alive, my children ,to my partner's family as well as friends. Some do not have children or partner's so their friends are their family.
I am not a television addict. I rarely watch the 'tube' A documentary or an old movie for sure. Last night while watching the show , "GLEE" I had tears streaming down my face. As I got older I lost the magic and faith of Christmas. I can remember dressing up as Santa for my children and placing presents under the tree. I drank the milk ( nowadays it would be soy or goat milk) and ate cookies ( now they would have to be gluten free) they left out. I even made foot prints with my Santa boots. I did what my parents did for me when I was a child. I was smiling and crying at the same time as I recalled those times while watching GLEE. Sure, without a loved one is painful at first. I myself rationalized my mother's early death at age 51 as GOD must have needed a seamstress very badly to make his cloaks.
What am I trying to say ? I do not know, but I do know that loved ones are never forgotten, always missed and always in our hearts. Be grateful. So WE NEED A LITTLE CHRISTMAS , everyday from today until the 25th so we are not sad on the 25th, but happy to able to recall our memories.



I love to read. I am a quick reader. I read a variety of books ranging from biographies to plants to history. I even completed the entire Harry Potter collection. Nowadays when I see an article on a herb that I do not recall I start to research the herb. I came across a vita-nutrient for the heart with Salvia miltiorrhiza. The common name is Dashen which is used in Chinese medicine. Although this herb is known to promote blood flow I have not seen it used extensively in cardiac ( heart ) disease. I do not practice Traditional Chinese Medicine (TCM). I have finally come to the realization that one person cannot know everything. I refer to those professionals who know more about TCM herbs. I found many articles where Dashen exerted its pharmacological effects on cerebral ( brain) infarction. I did find a few studies on Dashen reducing the inflammatory risk factor, CRP. I have seen vitamin supplement formulas using both the American herb, Hawthorn ( Cratageus) and Dashen ( Salvia) however I do not feel comfortable using both without discussing its effects with a practitioner knowledgeable in TCM. I am versed in American Herbs .I do not know of a book to discus the interactions between TCM and conventional medicines, unlike articles and a PDR for American Herbal Medicine.

I have read another article using another Chinese herb, Sophora flavescens in combination with berberine as well as magnesium. The compound berberine is found in many plant series. Berberine does have some cardiac activity There are well-researched studies on the cardiac effects of berberine. I have only found two studies where Sophora also known as Ku Shen was used for a serious arrhythmia as ventricular tachycardia. I could not find any human studies. I found many studies utilizing magnesium, an amino acid, taurine and Coenzyme Q 10 in a variety of cardiac diseases. What I did find was an interesting 2002 article on this herb in relation to one of my favorite topic--Hair growth. This herb extract has outstanding hair growth promoting effects. It induces growth factors such as IGF-1 in dermal papilla cells. How extraordinary !
Again, what am I trying to say.? Always consult a health care practitioner in that particular field of medicine before using a new herb. Herbs are drugs. TCM should be discussed with a practitioner comfortable in Chinese Medicine.


Learn to realize the importance of a person's life.

Until tomorrow....

No comments:

Post a Comment