Friday, December 24, 2010

DECEMBER 24, 2010 THE HEALING GARDEN





" Get and keep a good humored attitude toward life. This will bring you support rather than opposition"

It sounds wonderful but how practical is it this with your busy life. I can relate totally. With all my earnest I try to keep a good humored attitude towards patent's illnesses and their lives, but it does get to me. This time of year especially 'hits' me hard. No individual wants to hear bad news at any time, but the Holidays is supposed to be a joyful time. Twenty eight years ago my mother died in June. With the Italian wake, autopsy etc her wake was two days before my birthday and buried on my birthday. It seems to me so long ago. Do you think I wanted to celebrate my birthday in years ahead. Hell, no. The same is true of any illness around the Holiday time. This is where a good humored attitude , meditation and prayer plays a significant role in my life. I am responsible for the sick. I try to the best of my ability to help every person however my mind makes every case a personal struggle. It wears and tears on my soul. It is the caring me. I do not like it always as I suffer but when a Holiday card with holly on the front comes to the office and reads, " For a Skilled Doctor---It must be rewarding to help people feel better" you can't help but cry. I was chosen by my Higher Power to assist the sick. My good humored attitude does support me every day.

It seems decades, but this day is a day of preparation for most Italians. The 7 course Christmas Eve fish dinner. I miss those times. The eel,clams, smelts, cod, shrimp, and of course the linguine. I know people that still carry this tradition forward, I am not jealous, but envious of the large families of by-gone days.

I read a lot. I have been reading about A HEALING GARDEN. I know many herbalists that have such gardens. This is not a new field, but a different twist or concept. This is Horticulture Therapy. (HT) The definition of horticultural therapy is a process which uses plants, horticultural activities and the natural world to promote awareness and well being by improving the body, mind and spirit. Horticultural Therapy is universal, adaptable and validates by research. (Canadian Horticultural Therapy Associtaion 1997) The American Horticultural Therapy Association has different words but the same concept.
Herbs and plants for centuries have been considered magical or mystical. In their own right, plants and herbs have been medicinal for those who choose. Plants are and will always be the basis for modern pharmaceutical science. That means any pharmaceutical drug that you consume was derived from a plant. Some people, as myself are attracted to plants. Think about this--are you one of those individuals who glow when you see a bouquet of flowers ? How do you feel walking in the woods or in Central Park ? I am drawn to plants. Are you drawn to plants ? This is the basis of Horticultural Therapy. We as a society mark significant days as Birthdays, Valentine's Day and even Christmas with plants and cultures. I do not know a single person that has not been attracted to plants or flowers at one time in their life. Then there are those, like me whose heart beats stronger, palms get sweaty and feel energized by plants. This is not an anxiety attack, but a spiritual awakening.
The research about HT is remarkable. HT can be a benefit to many individuals with a variety of diseases. Cancer patient as in the photo above can peer down into the heart of a dwarf juniper shrub before making the first cut. For this patient it is exhilarating. This is at a HT session in Chesapeake General Hospital.
HT relieves pain, reduces stress and improves self-esteem, mood and muscle tone.

A goal or rather a dream is to have my own Healing Garden. It will be my Secret Garden to share...

Until tomorrow...

Top photograph: Two best friends keep a good humored attitude toward life -12/23/10

1 comment:

  1. There are two of us in this World with a same dream .
    Beautiful story !

    ReplyDelete