Friday, December 31, 2010

DECEMBER 31, 2010 LAST DAY IN DECEMBER







" Never hurry, take plenty of exercise, always be cheerful and take all the sleep you need, and you may expect to be well." -JF Clarke

" The well rested person is able to accomplish more" -W Nevels

It is logical that if you sleep more you will be well rested. For me, I do not sleep that well. I am trying to recharge my battery. Although traveling is taxing to me, I get my best rest when not in New York City. The quiet and peacefulness of Blackwell Island ( aka Roosevelt Island) has improved my sleep. Did you ever try to go to sleep and you can't ? Your mind is still wandering, but your muscles are tired? This is me. My medical training was the start of my sleepless nights. I have always adjusted to little sleep. I know it is not healthy. Over the years I had to learn to meditate, pray and do yoga in order to go to sleep? I know when in the countryside of Virginia I sleep better. Changing the midnight hour of my twelve step meeting has improved the time I start to fall asleep. I sleep better when on a 'real' vacation. When was the last time I had a real vacation ? Sorry, when was the last time you had a real vacation ? How many of you fall asleep with the television on? How many read in bed ? How many of you have partners who snore ? I always am in awe at various sleeping habits. I am sure there are books written about rituals before one sleeps. What is your bed time ritual ?
Did you know...

1. The record for the longest period without sleep is 18 days, 21 hours, 40 minutes during a rocking chair marathon. The record holder reported hallucinations, paranoia, blurred vision, slurred speech and memory and concentration lapses.

2. It’s impossible to tell if someone is really awake without close medical supervision. People can take cat naps with their eyes open without even being aware of it.

3. Anything less than five minutes to fall asleep at night means you’re sleep deprived. The ideal is between 10 and 15 minutes, meaning you’re still tired enough to sleep deeply, but not so exhausted you feel sleepy by day.

4. Dreams, once thought to occur only during REM (Rapid Eye Movement) sleep, also occur (but to a lesser extent) in non-REM sleep phases. It’s possible there may not be a single moment of our sleep when we are actually dreamless.

5. REM dreams are characterised by bizarre plots, but non-REM dreams are repetitive and thought-like, with little imagery – obsessively returning to a suspicion you left your mobile phone somewhere, for example.

Sleep is defined as a naturally recurring state characterized by reduced or lacking consciousness, relatively suspended sensory activity, and inactivity of nearly all voluntary muscles. Books have written about sleep. Research has been done about sleep. Certain medical conditions have been extensively discussed. Sleep deprivation leads to other metabolic and hormonal disturbances which will tire our bodies. Lack of sleep can cause adrenal gland fatigue or exhaustion.

Make this part of your New Year's Resolution
Get plenty of rest, drink more water, do moderate amount of exercise eat healthier for your body.

As the year closes we all start to reflect upon the entire 365 days. We will recall the happy as well as the sad times. I reflect upon a year at the time of my 12 step anniversary in the same way I will reflect tonight. I always thank God for my blessings in the morning and at night. For me, this is very important. I have a conscious contact with my Higher Power. I do not like the phrase, " The Highlights of 2010 were..." The most relevant or memorable moment for me this year was entering another decade-- I turned 50. Beyond my wildest dreams, my partner for whom I would not be the man I am today, actually surprised me. I am a grateful sober man.

In my profession or as they say, " my line of work" , every day is a challenge. I am always confronted with challenges. The challenges vary from life decisions for some, and for others, just talking or changing their medications. I try to be supportive to all I encounter. I was supportive and present for my children when tragedy occurred in their family. This is what life is all about. Pages and pages could be written, but I hope you understand that being present, responsible and loving are basic. The individuals I meet have an ever lasting effect or 'stamp' in my life. On this Day is December bow your head for the souls/friends that are no longer here...
Rudolf B, Jeannie C, Matthew D, Nina F, Sara G, Katherine M, Gayle P, Peter P, Sam P, Phyllis P, John R, James R, Lucia S, Jerry S, Mark T , Susan L , Adolfo D and Elena D.

Until 2011...

No comments:

Post a Comment