Friday, December 3, 2010

DECEMBER 3, 2010 FRIDAY'S CHILD SHOULD NOT DEVELOP A KIDNEY STONE or A WALK ON THE WILD SIDE





Monday's child is fair in face, Tuesday's child is full of grace, Wednesday's child is full of woe, Thursday's child has far to go, Friday's child is loving and giving, Saturday's child works hard for its living, and a child that's born on a Christma”

“Every child comes with the message that God is not yet discouraged of humanity.”
Friday’s child is loving and giving. What day were you born on ? I was born on a Thursday-‘ Thursday’s child has far to go. Possibility this meant far in my academics or far in life. I sometimes feel I still have far to go and more to do in my life. There is so much to learn. I know and I realize that I cannot to it all. There is not enough time. The good news is that I am doing what I do for me. This is my time. This all comes back to doing something for yourself. Looking back only for a glimpse, I wish I had spent more time working or adventuring with plants as a child. I didn’t realize how important plants are in our world. I did more adventuring with plants with my own children. There were plenty of walks with my children especially to the Sunken Forest in Fire Island.
Sailors Haven is home to one of the best known areas of Fire Island National Seashore—the Sunken Forest . It is located near the center of the island, across the Great South Bay from Sayville, New York. It is accessible by Sayville Ferry, private boat, and foot only. This well-developed secondary dune system and rare maritime forest are among the natural features at this site. I recommend a walk at the right time of the year. Be careful for mosquito and tick time ? There are many trees to find in the Sunken Forest. It is a 300-year-old maritime forest comprised of American holly, sassafras, shad bush, black gum and oak trees. Protected behind a tall primary dune and a secondary dune system, the forest has been able to survive for centuries on a fragile, dynamic barrier island. This makes it unique.

Sunken Forest could even be a weekend getaway right now. There are many weekend getaways that can involve nature. Some getaways can be the Botanical Gardens in the Bronx or Brooklyn, New Hope, Pennsylvania, and even Central Park, New York City.

To continue with some consciousness of thought from yesterday--10 - 12 % of the population will develop kidney stones. I hope this is not you considering the pain that occurs during passing a stony. Men, whether gay or straight, are 12% more likely than woman (6%) to develop a stone. It is estimated that those whom have had one stone are 50% likely to develop a second stone within 5 years. I have blogged about uric acid stones in discussing gout and calcium oxalate stones yesterday. Calcium oxalate stones account for about 80-85% of all stones. Of the four types of stones I didn't discuss struvite or cystine stones.
Since calcium oxalate stones are the most common and can be prevented by altering your dietary lifestyle. It has been stated that diets high in protein have an increased incidence of development of stones. While this may be true, I must defend one of my mentors, Robert Atkins, MD. Although Bob and I didn't always agree while we worked together side by side, I have never seen a patient develop a kidney stone while on his high protein, high fat diet. This does NOT mean I agree with this dietary lifestyle, but I must defend and comment on his infamous Atkins Diet.
People love lists. Who doesn't love a simple list ? Some people love clear cut statements. I have decided to do both. Lists and bullets.

Table I: Foods Very High in Oxalates

1. Beets
2. Spinach
3. Purslane
4. Beets

Table II: Foods High in Oxalates
1. Amaranth - gluten free grain
2. Sweet Potatoes
3. Kale
4. Peanuts
5. Dandelion

Table III: Foods Moderate in Oxalates
1. Celery 6. Apples
2. Chocolate 7. Scallions
3. Strawberries 8. Parsnips
4. Blueberries 9. Carrots
5. Black tea 10. Oranges

Bullet Tips:
1. High doses of Magnesium have reduced the risk of developing stones
2. High doses of Vitamin D can increase stone formation
3. If a probiotic supplement ( good bacteria) that uses lactic acid in their product
there can be a reduction in oxalate stones
4. High doses of Vitamin C has been associated with a high risk of developing stones

As I was typing and now you are reading this list, it gets confusing even for me. I encourage the consumption of all berries as a fruit, yet be careful. I encourage all leafy greens, yey be careful. I encourage apples as a good snack, yet be careful.
It comes down to this which I stated many times. There is no one overall dietary lifestyle for everyone. You must be a smart eater. You musty be informed. You MUST to get to know your own body.
For you to be informed I must be well read and inspired. I couldn't do it without the knowledge, dedication and passion of others. With great gratitude I thank Robert Atkins, Andrew Weil, Tierona LowDog, Victoria Maizes, Randy Horowitz, David Winston, James Snow, James Duke, Rosemary Gladstar, Michael Moore, 7song, Chanchal Cabrera, Tori Hudson and beyond my wildest dreams, my Higher Power. The one individual who puts up with my countless books, jars, loose teas, tinctures, and my sometimes scattered thoughts and words--Rick. Everyone in this world needs to be inspired, supported, and loved.

Until tomorrow...

2 comments:

  1. Hello Patrick!
    If you DO have a kidney stone....UROBAC has been shown to dissolve it in place so that you can pass it painlessly. It also dissolves the small beginnings of kidney stones before they can grow to cause you some big misery! Learn more about UROBAC and order it on the website:
    http://www.nanobiotech.us/urobac
    Gary Mezo

    ReplyDelete
  2. Read about a natural product you can buy in any health food store to dissolve existing stones and prevent new ones without any surgery. You might have to copy and paste the link below...
    http://country-physician.blogspot.com/2010/12/prevent-and-dissolve-kidney-stones.html

    ReplyDelete