Wednesday, December 22, 2010

DECEMBER 22, 2010 IS THAT ALL THERE IS ....TO IDLENESS





" As we must account for every idle word, so must we account for every idle silence" Benjamin Franklin

Over the last eight years I have learned, gradually and painfully, how to sit still and idle, and let the uncertainty of life spin around me in its way. I have learned to balance very fragile symbols of meaning in my empty hands before I hold them up and say " Is That All There Is" With all I have done in my life, I am still amazed at my or one's transformation. I cannot pin point the exact time I started to undergo a spiritual transformation. I didn't look back. I was afraid to look back because I was afraid to see a very different face of my transformation. I do not see my transformation unless perhaps I qualify in my twelve step program. It is only through the comments of the audience sitting at that meeting with their own comments do I see that have transformed into the man I am today. For me to sit idle is an accomplishment in itself. How to define idle ? The definitions of idle are numerous. Some are of no account; useless; vain; trifling; unprofitable; thoughtless; silly; barren. It can also be defined as not called into active service; not turned to appropriate use; unemployed; as, idle hours. I like the definition of given rest and ease. I never wanted to sit idle for fear that I would miss something. I felt I always had to doing something. I didn't want to waste time. My idle time in the far past was taken up by addictions. Today I sit for idle time reflecting, meditating and praying. In early December I stepped inside The Chapel of the Good Shepherd on the formerly called Blackwell Island, now Roosevelt Island for a mass . I went early to sit idle and pray. The chapel first opened in 1889 and designed by architect Frederick Clark Withers. For many years this chapel served both Protestants and Catholics. It was closed in 1958. It was reopened in 1975 to service as a place of worship for the Roosevelt Island Community. It was surreal to be meditating in this remarkable church.


I mentioned Clary Sage the other day. I realized I didn't know enough about this herb/spice. Clary Sage
also known as Salvia Sclarea is native of southern France and Italy. The name is derived from the word sclarus, or known as clear because the seeds were thought to clear the eyes. This reminds me of the whites of the eyes also known as the sclera. Dr Parkinson famed for Parkinson Disease which bears his name though Clary Sage was a good herb for "weak backs and to straighten the reins" I do not understand the term 'straighten the reins' He had a recipe for cooking clary leaves. The plant can be used as a perfume made from the whole plant. The leaves of Clary were used historically as a flavor for all homemade wines, ale and beer. I know a herbalist that uses its leaves as an aromatic tea. I have eaten an omelette with clary leaves in a small cafe in Paris. It did taste delicious.

IS THAT ALL THERE IS ?

I remember when I was a very little girl, our house caught on fire.
I'll never forget the look on my father's face as he gathered me up
in his arms and raced through the burning building out to the pavement.
I stood there shivering in my pajamas and watched the whole world go up in flames.
And when it was all over I said to myself, "Is that all there is to a fire?"

Is that all there is, is that all there is
If that's all there is my friends, then let's keep dancing
Let's break out the booze and have a ball
If that's all there is

And when I was 12 years old, my father took me to the circus, the greatest show on earth.
There were clowns and elephants and dancing bears
And a beautiful lady in pink tights flew high above our heads.
And as I sat there watching the marvelous spectacle
I had the feeling that something was missing.
I don't know what, but when it was over,
I said to myself, "Is that all there is to a circus?"

Is that all there is, is that all there is
If that's all there is my friends, then let's keep dancing
Let's break out the booze and have a ball
If that's all there is

Then I fell in love, with the most wonderful boy in the world.
We would take long walks by the river or just sit for hours gazing into each other's eyes.
We were so very much in love.
Then one day, he went away. And I thought I'd die -- but I didn't.
And when I didn't I said to myself, "Is that all there is to love?"

Is that all there is, is that all there is
If that's all there is my friends, then let's keep dancing

I know what you must be saying to yourselves.
If that's the way she feels about it why doesn't she just end it all?
Oh, no. Not me. I'm in no hurry for that final disappointment.
For I know just as well as I'm standing here talking to you,
when that final moment comes and I'm breathing my lst breath, I'll be saying to myself,

Is that all there is, is that all there is
If that's all there is my friends, then let's keep dancing
Let's break out the booze and have a ball
If that's all there is


"Is That All There Is?" is a song written by Jerry Leiber and Mike Stoller and made a hit by Peggy Lee from her recording in November 1969.
Until tomorrow...

No comments:

Post a Comment