Sunday, December 26, 2010

DECEMBER 26, 2010 SNOW,SNOW,SNOW





" JOY IS NOT IN THINGS; IT IS IN US" - Richard Wagner


Joy, Happiness and Serenity must be found within ourselves. I know now it is not found in things. We must create our own joy, happiness and serenity. It is within each of us; within our reach. Of course each of us had some joy in one or two of the gift's we received this year. I know I did. It is not in the worth of the gift; It is in the act of giving and receiving. I never thought I would say this, but " I do not want for anything nor do I need anything" The thoughtfulness and the insight in the gifts I received were beyond reproach. In my wildest dreams would I ever think a book called , " Plant Lore, Legends, and Lyrics- Embracing the Myth , Traditions, Superstitions, and Folk-Lore of the Plant Kingdom"- an 1892 reproduction from Cornell University Library ever grace my shelves not enthrall my desires for the love of plants. Yet I yearn for nothing. I yearn for peace and serenity among the men and women of this world. I yearn to have my Higher Power continue allowing me to serve thy fellow man to be the best of my ability. I am grateful. I love the South ( especially Virginia) not only for my family but for the people who work and serve in various occupations. As they hand you your purchase, nine out of ten times he/she will say to you, " Have a Blessed Day."

The poet, Wordsworth wrote these words

" God made the flowers to beautify
The earth, and cheer man's careful mood;
And he is happiest who hath power
To gather wisdom from a flower,
And wake his heart in every hour
To pleasant gratitude."


I hope that the love of human kind for flowers would be shared among those who read these words. I would hope that those who have gardens would consider Horticulture Therapy (HT) by which you can harness the healing power of plants. I know it sounds ridiculous and childish. Research has been done that HT can improve mood and irritability. HT can assist in depression, loneliness and desperation for some individuals. HT can boost your self esteem. HT can become your new hobby for the Spring.
Of course in such therapy not only will vocational and physical skills be improved, but more profound are the mental, emotional and spiritual gains. I have seen HT assist the cancer patient in accepting her illness as well assist a patient with sever debilitating rheumatoid arthritis cope with her/his chronic illness.

Plants and my new garden related activities is a way for me to reconnect with different types of people. It has introduced me to a landscaper whose love for the Fauna of Fire Island inspires me. It has introduced me to Grass Roots movements and Free Clinics in Ithaca. It has introduced me to the World of Bees. The possibilities are endless. The practice of gardening and planting for me is as healing as a conventional medicine. For others, a different practice might produce the same effect. The benefits from HT are diverse. There are physical benefits as increasing strength in the outdoors as well as dexterity; The cognitive benefits range from self worth to a new learning opportunity; The emotional benefits are recalling memories. Planting brings up childhood memories of caring for the vegetables with my Poppy and picking the Lilly of the Valley with my mother. The next important benefit to me after the emotional is the spiritual connection . I feel blessed to practice free will and plant what I want. I feel hopeful that my seeds will grow into beautiful plants with flowers. The added addition is that some of these plants are herbs. The gift is that herbs and its various parts ( stems, leaves, roots ) can be used as medicine.

Until tomorrow... I leave you with this English phrase from Essex. The moon and mushrooms

" When the moon is at the full,
Mushrooms you may freely pull;
But when the moon is on the wane,
Wait ere you think to pluck again."

" SNOW, SNOW, SNOW " This is a song sung in Holiday Inn with Bing, Danny, Vera and Rosemary.

No comments:

Post a Comment