Tuesday, December 21, 2010

DECEMBER 21, 2010 LIFE IS LIKE A BOX OF CHOCOLATES AND THEN YOU GET STUNG BY A BEE







" The art of living lies not in eliminating but growing with troubles" Bernard M. Baruch


It is impossible to live life without any troubles. It is life of life's terms. Shit happens as stated in the 1994 Best Academy Award Film, Forrest Gump. In this movie during his capricious run, a bumper sticker salesman running alongside him points out to Forrest that he has just stepped in a pile of dog feces. When Forrest replies, "It happens," the man replies, "What, shit?", to which Forrest replies, "Sometimes". The man is then inspired to create the "Shit Happens" bumper sticker. There are many memorable quotes from that movie. One that applies to the quote above is said by Mrs Gump, portrayed by Sallie Field, " Life was like a box of chocolates. You never know what you're gonna get." This is life. I do not think the God of my understanding would put anything in my life path that he/she knew I couldn't handle. Sure there are many challenges in life. We all have had to face one or two challenges in our lifetime. These challenges always seem to appear when we least expect it, but we can always handle the situation. This is the positive side of our lives. I do know that meditation and pray has helped me to deal with life on life's terms. The troubles we all encounter allow us each to grow. Growing is a process. It can be difficult if we fight the process. I have learned later in life (better late than never) to flow with the waves. Waves have ups and downs and so does life. My father used to say " Go with the punches" or better stated " Go with the flow"
I accept and do not question. It makes it much easier.

As I discuss my quest to be a bee keeper with friends and family, their reaction is always the same. " Why a bee keeper, don't you enough to do with your busy schedule" This may be true, but I want to help the environment in any way I can. First, going GREEN to the best of my ability in New York City and in Fire Island has taught me a lot about what Green means, and my role in helping the environment stay safe.
Why bee keeping ? Simply stated, There are more than 100 agricultural crops in the United States are pollinated by bees. This means bees are important, if not essential, for the production of nearly $7 billion worth of agricultural crops produced annually in various States. Examples of bee pollinated crops include watermelons, cantaloupe, citrus and apples (see story below). Although some of these crops are pollinated by bee species other than honey bees, honey bees are the only ones that can be easily managed, moved around and are known to exploit a wide variety of crops. If we have no bees through insecticides, mites, pollution, then we have no crops. Some plants, for example grasses, produce light pollen grains that may be carried by the wind or water from plant to plant. Other plants need help from insects, birds, or bats for successful pollination. Without this assistance, fruit and/or seeds would not be formed. In fact, about a third of the food Americans eat is the direct result of pollination by insects such as Honey Bees While a worker bee is in a flower gathering nectar, pollen from the anther ( male part of the flower) often sticks to her hairy body. Because the bee generally visits a number of the same type of flower in a patch, she will rub some of the pollen off onto the stigma of another flower and complete pollination. Some flowers such as orchids have elaborate mechanisms to make sure bees are dusted with pollen when they visit. The insect world is made of geniuses. Part of the reason honey bees are so important as pollinators is that they actively seek out flowers with pollen, unlike pollinators such as bats and hummingbirds who are primarily interested in nectar. Pollen stored in the hive is used as a source of protein in feeding the developing larvae. Bees are highly intelligent insects,as so many other insects. My reading has lead me to find out that some bee keepers consider Parsley to be an important Honey Plant.
I have learned from reading that there are 5 top plants for Honeybees. The first is Borage ( Borago officinalis), Echium ( Echium vulgare), Goldenrod ( Soligado species), Phacelia, Tansy ( Phacelia tanacetiflora) and Lemon Balm ( Melissa officinalis).
I have never thought of the Honey Bees as major pollinators. I knew of course in my mind it was true, but I needed to read , A Spring Without Bees." to justify and clarify the ever growing grave situation . Today, I received a package from a patient I first discussed my bee project with some months ago. It was so thoughtful to receive books on bees for this Holiday Season.
I am grateful and blessed.

Until tomorrow...

No comments:

Post a Comment