Wednesday, August 31, 2011

SEPTEMBER 1, 2011 ANGEL'S TRUMPET



















I was taught this...When I am feeling depressed I repeat to myself the following statements:

"Pain is the touchstone of progress...Fear no evil...This too shall pass...This experience can be turned to benefit. " -from The Grapevine March 1962







I always use 'this too shall pass' especially when in a bad space or 'stuck in my mind'. Sometimes I get caught in my head--the people, places, and circumstances are swirling. I always describe this to patients like this...If a female patient, I say, "Picture yourself as Grace Kelly in 'Rear Window' (the 1954 suspense thriller with director Alfred Hitchcock) with your costar, James Stewart. You are both viewing all the apartments from your window. All of those apartment windows are the people in your mind." You have to be a movie buff to appreciate this scene.



We all dream. Sometimes we remember them and sometimes not. There is a plant, Brugmansia aurea that grows in South America. It is commonly called the Angel's trumpet or Tree Dutura. There are six to seven species but due to its beauty it is now found in all tropical and subtropical places. If I had a green house I would grow angel's trumpet. Since I am sober I have developed an affinity to reading about the plants that induce love. In reality I am interested in the aphrodisiacs. That reminds me of a line from the movie/play Gypsy when the famous stripper, Gypsy Rose Lee is talking to the audience. I guess you have to be a movie buff again.


These species rarely grow fruits so they can only be propagated as cuttings. At night these beautiful trumpets exude a very sweet captivating scent that can induce erotic dreams. It is a well known Indian medicinal plant used by shamans. It is described as a hallucinogen.


It can also be smoked from the dry leaves. The active ingredient in this plant is the tropane alkaloids.





Do you grow these in your green house?




Until tomorrow...












No comments:

Post a Comment