Saturday, April 9, 2011

APRIL 14, 2011 STEPPING STONES OF FIBROMYALGIA TREATMENT






"Our lives are made of stepping stones, one experience after another in perfect and divine order"


Since I believe in taking life One Day at A Time, then it makes sense to think of one stepping stone after another. I wouldn't say that I always see the 'perfect order', but it seems there is a divinity to the stepping stones. I know that when I am ready to move to the next level in life, whether spiritually or emotionally--I am ready for the change. Life is full of different levels. As we get older we begin to move to other levels of growth without ever knowing that we are changing. Most of the time I do not see the change in myself. I only see those changes when others make notice of a change or I have recently qualified at a 12 step meeting. At those 'qualifications' I discuss my past and relive some stories. This is when I step back and say, "Wow-- I have changed." It is those stepping stones building a bridge. I am blessed for those stepping stones.



70 - 80% of those who suffer from Fibromyalgia are women. Typically the age is 30- 60 years old. There have been studies to document that women with Type A personality traits suffer the most. The symptoms vary from individual to individual. They include muscle stiffness, brain fog, sensitivity to cold, depression as well as anxiety, dry mouth and digestive disturbances. There are many theories about the cause. I have never found one that fits all the patients I see with Fibromyalgia. It varies from reduced serotonin, to food allergies to physical and emotional trauma. The conventional treatment is usually medications like Lyrica or the newest, Salvetta.

I do know that every Fibromyalgia patient needs to to use food as medicine and build up their stamina. There are many individuals who need a major detoxification program. The vitamin/supplement list for these patients is long and extensive. I utilize all the B vitamins, coenzyme Q10, fish oils, digestive enzymes and recently have been using royal jelly and bee pollen (related to my affinity for people having beehives and saving the bee population). Of course stress management is key. This could be done by guided visualization, breathing exercises, and managing negative emotions. If we all balanced our negative emotions we wouldn't be in the mess some of us are in.

Stretching is important as exercise can sometimes make Fibromyalgia even worse. The amount of herbs that can be used for Fibromyalgia is overwhelming. I never knew that so many herbs can be used for one disease. But this is why I love plants and herbs! There are some patients who have used topical applications of kelp/capsicum plasters, and liniments of infused oil of comfrey with lobelia and Viburnum opulus. The coolest (not in the sense of temperature ) is mixing together 150 ml of sunflower oil and 65 grams of beeswax (back to the bees again!). Add 100g of lanolin and cool. Then add camphor powder dissolved in oil. finally, add capsicum tincture, methylsalicylate and borax powder. One of my patients swears by this for her joints. I know it sounds complicated.

I would rather use the following herbs for joint pain.
1. Salix alba 10 ml
2. Verbena officinalis 10 ml
3. Viburnum opulus 10 ml
4. Ginkgo biloba 20 ml
5. Betula alba 15 ml
6. Fucus versiculosis 15 ml
7. Dioscorea villosa 20 ml

Total: 100ml

Apply to joints in compress or add to a cup of chamomile tea. It can also help the memory ...if you remember the ginkgo.

Until tomorrow...


Top photograph: Viburnum opulus

No comments:

Post a Comment