Monday, April 18, 2011

APRIL 21, 2011 THE FEEL GOOD HORMONE









"WISDOM IS THE BEST GUIDE AND FAITH IS THE BEST COMPANION" - Dalai Lama


What am I without faith? I am nobody. I have faith. I do think I had faith as a child but lost that faith in G.O.D. for many reasons as I grew older. The big picture was that the origin of my faith, the Roman Catholic Church, has no place for a gay man. As I grow older, I have forgiven the overall catholic religion. It is not their fault. It was the fault of the older priest who actually asked me to leave the confessional box when I told him about my life at age 17. It was unfortunate for me to say the least. It did not help my self esteem at that time. I know better today what is right for me. The faith I have in the G.O.D. of my understanding is unique to me. It is the G.O.D. of my understanding--not what I was taught in church or school.

I have the wisdom to know the difference.


By the way the above is the last line from the 12 step Serenity Prayer.



The 'Feel Good Hormone", serotonin is not really a hormone but a neurotransmitter (brain chemical) that is within our brain and gastrointestinal (GI) tract. I say GI tract but actually it is the small intestine. You need a clean, functioning, non-insulted small intestine with NO inflammation. When inflammation starts in the small intestines, you cannot produce the serotonin which is then sent to the brain.

Did you even know that serotonin is produced in the intestines? Probably not because it is always heard that it is a brain 'hormone'. But, the enterochromaffin (EC) cells in the intestines produce about 80 - 90% OF THE HUMAN BODY'S TOTAL SEROTONIN.

So an insulting injury to the intestines such as a food allergy, excessive yeast, heavy metal intoxication and even a chronic infection can alter the serotonin level by decreasing its output from the intestines.

Any one of the four can be insulting to the small intestines. It is difficult for a lay person to grasp the idea that there is gut-brain communication. Serotonin is a neurotransmitter, but also a gastrointestinal hormone which plays a role in many of the GI disturbances (diarrhea, vomiting, bloating and flatulence). The latter two are most likely caused by a food allergy or yeast overgrowth. This might mean you eat too much bread, pasta, cakes, cookies, vinegar products, dried fruit, peanuts, cantaloupe and much more. Oh yes-- let's not forget the beer, wine and alcohol. All are yeasty.


Until tomorrow...

No comments:

Post a Comment