Friday, April 1, 2011

APRIL 2, 2011 THE CANDIDA BLUES






"The soul should always stand ajar, ready to welcome the ecstatic experience." ---Emily Dickinson


Be open, ready, willing and able for a new experience. Narrow mindedness should be avoided--just let go of it! I was once a semi-narrow-minded physician. Over the years that has changed allowing me to better myself and challenge the individuals I assist with lifestyle changes. Have you experienced something new in your life? Ever had a completely 'new ecstatic experience'? This summer I will be experiencing something new. It will be my first time in many years on Fire Island as a civilian without physician volunteer duties. I am looking forward to this. I was a civilian years ago on Fire Island. In reflection, I was not as happy as I could have been. I was a 'new be' to sobriety and relationships. This year Rick and I will experience Fire Island in a different way. We have our honeybees, plants, flowers, herbs and ourselves. To add to that we will have real friends. This makes the serenity, peace and love even more special. Old doors close, and new 'old' doors open or old doors close and completely 'new doors' open... Be open to change. You will definitely benefit!

Changing your dietary lifestyle may not make you ecstatic immediately. But the benefits you and your stomach/intestines will feel will certainly make you happy if you give it a try. Here are some sample questions I might ask you on a visit.

1. Are you bothered by fatigue?

2. Do you feel worse on damp days or in musty moldy areas?

3. Have you had a prolonged course of antibiotics?

4. Are you blue or depressed?

5. Are you bothered by headaches, irritability, or a feeling of being 'spread too thin'?

6. Do some foods disagree with you or trigger symptoms above?

7. Have you been checked by a physician who spent time talking to you?

8. How many doctors have you seen for the same recurring problems?

9. Are you bothered by digestive disorders, bloating, gas, constipation, diarrhea or belching?

10. What kind of diet do you adhere to: high protein, low carb, high fat or high protein, moderate carb, high fat? or high protein, low carb, moderate good fats?


I am not asking these questions because I am nosy, but I want to ascertain the relationship of the common yeast, Candida to any health problems you may have. I am not talking about the yeast in breads and cakes, but a different kind of yeast. Candida normally lives on the dark warm interior membranes of your body in harmony with billions of friendly bacteria. When there is an imbalance of sorts there is a problem. Candida does NOT cause any problems when you have a normal immune system. But when you take antibiotics for pneumonia or a urinary tract infection, it will not only kill the bad bacteria, but many of the millions of friendly bacteria in the small intestines.



Until tomorrow...


A dream come true: As I sit here at the SW Conference of Botanical Medicine in AZ, I am grateful and proud that my badge reads: Patrick Fratellone, MD RH New York, NY

No comments:

Post a Comment