Friday, April 1, 2011

APRIL 5, 2011 HEPATITIS






"Today, everything WE need shall BE supplied to US."



You do have everything if you have your health. Health, happiness, serenity and peace are always supplied to us if we ask. If you pray,what do you pray for? I pray for tranquility and serenity every day. During my early twenties I lived through a time where your health was not guaranteed due to the 'new' epidemic, HIV/AIDS. I was health conscious then as well as now, so I did protect myself. But even with protection, mishaps do happen. I recall those days where there was no tranquility as every day another friend was sick and eventually no longer with us. Thank God those days are over. I will never forget my friends who died during those 'disco' days of the 1980's. There was no tranquility and serenity then.

Serenity for me is living among nature- the plants, flowers, bees, and trees. It is among the warm weather, the sound of the ocean and the song of a bird.

Find your serenity. I promise you will not be disappointed.


Both hepatitis B and C are viruses that can cause devastating chronic degenerative liver disease. Some of this chronic liver disease can progress to hepatocellular necrosis, liver cancer and liver failure. Hepatitis B (HBV) is spread by sexual contact or by contact with infected blood or other body fluid. About 2 billion individuals world wide have been infected with HBV. More staggering is that 350 million have the chronic form of the disease. Many infected people have no symptoms when diagnosed. There is a vaccine for preventing HBV. As a medical professional I received this vaccine earlier in my career. I think it is important for health care providers to get this vaccine.

Hepatitis C (HVC) is most often treated with interferon and ribavirin. About 40-50% of those with HVC genotype I (the most common genotype) will be cured by interferon as will 70-80% who have HCV genotypes II or III. The treatment is successful but not without side effects. I have many patients who start the treatment and cannot finish the course of injections. I see many individuals with crippling fatigue, depression, muscle pain and weakness over the 12 month treatment program.

There are many herbal treatments available for the treatment of hepatitis but it is most effective to start with a change in dietary lifestyle. I want the infected individual to start an anti-inflammatory diet. This involves consuming less meat and more fruits and vegetables. I want the patient to start juicing green vegetables and a few low sugar fruits in the morning. If the patient does not want to juice, then I suggest using a Green and Red Powder Mix. I have formulated Green/Red/Orange/Purple antioxidant drinks for Longevity Nutritionals. Check out http://www.longevitynutritionals.com/ I know everyone does not like to VitaMix vegetables and fruits. One scoop of either Greens or Reds is easier.

I utilize my bag of supplements for supporting liver function. I utilize many antioxidants, especially vitamin C. I usually recommend this be given intravenously with other antioxidants-- both vitamins and minerals including Vitamin B12, folic acid, zinc, selenium, manganese, calcium, magnesium and copper. N-acetylcysteine (NAC) is hepatoprotective. NAC is the precursor for glutathione which is either administered intravenously or taken in powdered form. SAMe, lactoferrin and alpha-lipoic acid are also recommended to be taken orally.

As far as herbs are concerned, I use the Western Herbs Milk Thistle, Ginkgo, Astragalus and Tumeric. I have seen other Registered Herbologists use Chinese and Indian formulas. There are many herbalists who are more familiar with Chinese Herbal treatments. David Winston, RH utilizes the approach of four treatment protocols. He uses hepatoprotective, hepatosupportive, herbal immunopotentiators and herbs to clear stagnation. The last two categories do involve more of the herbs I am familiar with like Ashwaganda, American Ginseng, and Asian Ginseng. The only two western herbs for stagnation mentioned are Oregon Grape Root, Barberry and Andrographis. The hepatoprotective Chinese herbs are Chai Hu root, Dan Shen root, Yin Chen Hao and many more. In this category I utilize Milk Thistle and Schisandra Berry.

The hepatosupportive herbs to help elimination of waste and maintain normal liver function are Amla fruit (Emblica officinalis), Lycium fruit and Eclipta herb. I have not used these but rely on Burdock, Dandelion and Yellow dock. The best three herbs for hepatoprotection are Milk Thistle (Silybum marianum) Schisandra berry (Schisandra chinensis) and Tumeric (Curcuma longa)

As an RH I have an important tool. As an integrative physician without an understanding of herbs, one knows ONE herb for ONE condition. Today as an integrative physician and RH, I know how to combine herbs with confidence.

Herb use for Hepatitis B and C is far superior to herb use for other conditions. I would like one day for a conventional Hepatologist and/or Gastroenterologist to recommend herbal remedies.
What always needs to be mentioned is that there are NO herbs that are CURATIVE for Hepatitis B and C, but many can help individuals live healthy lives.

Mother nature does have some miraculous plants.

Top photograph: Milk Thistle (love this flower)

Middle photograph: Schisandra berry

Bottom photograph: The largest organ in the body (excluding the skin), the Liver .

Until tomorrow...

No comments:

Post a Comment