Friday, April 1, 2011

APRIL 4, 2011 HERBAL TREATMENTS FOR PSORIASIS




"Create an opening for someone simply by imagining it is possible for them to grow."

-Yehuda Berg


Everyone deserves to grow emotionally and spiritually in this world. If you are spiritual then you must help others out. Simply telling them you meditate and pray is not enough. You must show them how you meditate, and guide them. As a parent we want our children to grow. We also try to protect them from the dangers of this world. As a parent, I have tried to the best of my ability to educate my children. I educated them on addictions as the teenage years approached. Now that seems a lifetime ago as they are in their twenties. As they grow older and mature, I am sometimes afraid of what they will encounter in this world and the future. I pray and meditate for their health and happiness. When I meditate I imagine a place in the world for them so they may grow individually with love and peace. It seems so Pollyana, but it is my wish. What do you wish for loved ones? Have you ever thought to imagine an opening for someone special in your life ?


Psoriasis is more common than you might think. It affects up to 1-2% of the world's population. It is characterized by erythematous, sharply demarcated rounded papules covered by a silvery shiny scale. It cannot be missed on a thorough patient physical. It is generally itchy. I have used many herbal treatments for this condition. Before I begin treatment, a detailed history must be obtained. A careful food history must be acquired by the physician. I really concentrate on this issue as many psoriasis sufferers consume too many carbohydrates, especially gluten (B R O W - barley, rye , oats and wheat) and cow's dairy. I often ask about consumption of alcohol in the form of beer, wine, vodka and other spirits. These spirits are full of yeast. Yeast is another source of problem when you have psoriasis. Other dietary concerns are vinegar products, pickles, cantaloupe, peanuts and dried fruits. After a careful assessment and blood tests for IgG RAST food allergies, I begin treatment. I always ask the patient to take probiotics and L-glutamine in powdered form to start healing the small intestine while the elimination lifestyle is begun.


Foremost, I do recommend a dietary lifestyle change. I also recommend some herbal treatments. I have seen them be successful with the dietary lifestyle changes. Stress is also an underlying problem in patients with psoriasis. I recommend meditation, stress reduction exercises, a hobby and yoga. More than 50% of psoriasis suffers have fingernail involvement. I have even seen this disappear with a careful dietary change.

The two herbs I use are Barberry and Yellow Dock (Rumex crispus)

I do not use these two herbs topically as you might think. I use them as tea or tincture concoctions. Both amplify the livers capability to detoxify. Yellow Dock (Rumex crispus) has a relative, rhubarb. The juice of the wild rhubarb can be used topically if juiced properly. It does burn at first, but the lesions do disappear. Walnut or butternut is similar to rhubarb but only a small amount. Both walnut and butternut in excessive doses can be a severe laxative. I have used Yellowdock topically with some success.

Another less known herb, Golden Smoke (Corydalis spp) can be used for skin conditions that are stress induced like eczema or psoriasis. It actually acts like a cross between a California Poppy and Barberry. I wonder if California Poppy would test positive on a drug screen (urine or blood) for opiates. I do not know the answer to that question. Another herb, Dicentra root is a combination of the above with the addition of Blood Root.

Herbalists say to use those herbs fresh. They can be used for Hives, Urticaria, Eczema, and systemic psoriasis.

Top photograph: Barberry

Bottom photograph: Yellow Dock

Until tomorrow...

No comments:

Post a Comment