Friday, April 1, 2011

APRIL 3, 2011 PASS ME A CUP OF JAVA



"The most important single ingredient in the formula of success is knowing how to get along with people." - Theodore Roosevelt

Success. We all want it at some point in our lives. Who doesn't want to be successful? I used to think being as successful as some of my mentors was what I wanted in life. I used to want my name to a household name. Not any longer. I am happy. I am successful within myself. So far, I have achieved what I wanted in life. I am sure there is more I can do, and I might or I might not do more. There are statements made by doctors on television today that I said more than 10 years ago.


What is the negative attitude towards coffee? I never remove coffee from a patients dietary lifestyle. After all I probably just removed the breads, candy and cow's dairy. Removing coffee might send the patient off the deep end. I might say something if it is more than seven cups a day especially with sugar. Coffee is an herb that has been around for centuries. Has your physician ever mentioned the benefits of coffee to you ?

Coffee has some health benefits. The Harvard School of Public Health found that a group who consumed 6 cups of coffee a day had about a 20% reduced overall mortality compared to those who drank coffee less than once a month. This is for both males and females and the patient population was 120,000. This is a great study. Older studies suggested that an increase in coffee consumption would decrease overall mortality.

So far for those who love coffee-you are safe.

We always think that the caffeine in coffee increases blood pressure but this is clinically insignificant. Studies have revealed no significant blood pressure increases. There is a slight elevation in the lipid panel (total cholesterol, LDLs and triglycerides).

Another cardiac risk factor, HS-CRP (marker of inflammation of the coronary arteries) was once thought to be elevated in heavy coffee drinkers. This has been extensively studied and there is no correlation between high CRP and caffeine, but there seems to be a protective effect.

In the news lately there are the studies indicating that coffee has a protective effect for Parkinson's Disease. There are thirteen studies documenting this fact. The risk was reduced by 30% for every 3 cups of coffee. There are studies citing a protective effect in those patients with Alzheimer's disease. Coffee has also been studied for its anti-diabetic effects. The results are promising. Note that when these studies refer to 6 cups of coffee it is the old measurements. Before we had 8 ounce cups we had 6 ounce cups. So, six 6 ounce cups = 36 oz. Today that is equivalent to 2 - 18 oz. grande cups.


There are some negative effects, but these are expected. Some of these occur for those who exceed their habitual intake. For instance, insomnia and heart palpitations are common as well as tremors and nervous irritability.

I have the ability to drink coffee after a late dinner and still go to sleep. I would recommend decreasing slowly if you want to stop coffee intake. Caffeine is an addictive substance. Starbucks should know after 40 years in the business. It is addictive and you can get withdrawal symptoms, so do it slowly. The withdrawal symptoms may include headache, decreased alertness, drowsiness and decreased energy.

I love the high polyphenol content of coffee. It is like green tea. Who wants to give up the great taste of coffee? It provides anti-inflammatory, antioxidant and neuro-protective benefits to your body.

Have a cup of java on me.


Until tomorrow...

No comments:

Post a Comment