Thursday, March 31, 2011

APRIL 1, 2011 A SLEEK, SLIPPERY HOBBY



" Whenever possible , let's be good to others, but be GOOD to ourselves too." You have two hands. Remember one hand is to help others, but never forget that the other hand is to help yourself. In 1993 I was told that by Audrey Hepburn who was visiting Miss Jessica Cronin (Tandy) in the hospital. Miss Tandy introduced me to her. It was one of the few times in my life that I was motionless and speechless.

I have come to believe that one must always help himself/herself first, to better help other people. It does not cost anything financially to be good to other people. Even if a person is not good to you, it is better to be good to them. This is karma. Pray for those individuals who are not good to you. You might ask, why should I? The answer is because it is the right thing to do. BE GOOD TO YOURSELF EVERY DAY IN ANY WAY YOU CAN.



I want today's hobby to involve herbs, so I could only think of Olive Oil Infusions. In ancient times, olive oil was called Liquid Gold for a number of reasons. The best reason is that olive oil is one of the healthiest oils to consume. It also tastes better than most oils. Now I want you to make it taste even better. I want you to create an intoxicating and enticing concoction that will add even more flavor to anything you cook. It is an easy hobby, satisfying and does not cost a lot of money.


This is what you will need:

1. Extra virgin olive oil

2. A bottle with cork or airtight lid

3. Funnel

4. Fresh herbs or spices

5. Mortar and pestle


I prefer to infuse my olive oils with herbs, but I have seen others infuse it with fruit, peppers and spices. The process is remarkably easy. First make sure you have all the ingredients. Obtain the herb you wish to infuse. I get all my herbs from http://www.mountainroseherbs.com/ If you do not like ordering from a computer or you do not have a computer, but live in New York City and want an herb, I have a suggestion. Visit FlowerPower on east 9th Street and 1st Avenue. This store has been there for many years and never had a bad batch of any herb. I was there last weekend purchasing some Bladderwrack, Marshmellow, Meadowsweet and Catnip. If you want to infuse fresh garlic, then chop the garlic. If you want to infuse an herb, grind very fine. I use the white marble mortar and pestle I purchased from Mountain Rose Herbs. Add the herb to the oil, and let the mixture sit for a couple of weeks. Then it is ready for salads, fish, meats, and for the bread dipping individuals. How delighted would you be when you see your herb infused oil on the shelf in your local gourmet market someday?


I want to tell you a secret. This summer I know you will make me proud and start an herbal garden. Fresh is better than dried herbs for your olive oil concoction. If you are collecting fresh herbs harvest the aerial parts after their flower buds have formed but before they are in full bloom. You want the fresh herb since it does lose lose flavor as it dries. You can freeze your herbs instead of drying. I especially like the freezing technique for parsley and lemon balm (Melissa officinalis )



Until tomorrow...

No comments:

Post a Comment