Monday, October 10, 2011

OCTOBER 10, 2011 BEE PROPOLIS

"PAIN MAKES MAN THINK. THOUGHT MAKES MAN WISE. WISDOM MAKES LIFE ENDURABLE." john patrick



Can you draw any conclusions from the pain you have suffered through your life? I can when qualifying at a twelve step meeting. I need that constant reminder of where I was years ago in my life. It is a good reminder. When I survey my life and my suffering, it helps me not to make the same mistakes. But of course, I did make similar mistakes but they were not as drastic. The idea of trusting too many, the idea of doing too many things to help others, and forgetting to help myself. I can speak like this because it I have changed. Have you changed? The virtue for me was patience. I need to have patience. Out of all this has come some wisdom. Can you believe that I have wisdom! Wisdom has come from my insight. Two things have given me the courage to stand up for what I believe - HONESTY AND SELF-RESPECT.


Rick and I said goodbye to 'our girls' this weekend. Who would have thought we would be involved in such a project together. It has been gratifying for both of us. It is great as a couple to have some common interests.

How much of the actual bee products from a hive can be used? Well there is the honey, of course. Then there is the wax. But there is also the Royal Jelly and the Bee Propolis.

Bee propolis has been used for centuries. In Fifty Years Among the Bees, Dr. CC Miller discusses bee propolis. The film Queen of the Sun highlights its amazing qualities. It has been used for many medical conditions. An active anti inflammatory component of bee propolis is Caffeic acid phenethyl ester (CAPE). It also has immunomodulator factors and anti microbial factors as well.

A study from 2002 , "Photochemical compounds involved in the anti inflammatory effect of propolis extract." Although the study used rats, its results were revealing. The study looked at CAPE with and without propolis on rat pedal edema. Those with propolis and CAPE had no (paw/foot) edema while those with propolis and NO CAPE had edema. Propolis has been used in studies with colitis and to treat H. pylori. More studies need to be done on propolis. Rick and I have found no down side effects using any by-product of a bee hive.


This Fall and Winter is dedicated to more reading, seminars and courses. Not only do we have our Fire Island 'girls' but we have to set up hives in two school locations within New York City.
Get involved.

For clarification, 'our girls' = our honeybees.

rick and i have our 'girls' and then our boys, Spencer, Jack and Grant - man's best friends. These boys are more than that. Those who own and care for dogs as children will understand. Unfortunately, it is with great sadness that JACK, Rick's Yorkie died today. He was 15 years old. Words cannot describe how wonderful he was.

Until tomorrow...

No comments:

Post a Comment