Thursday, October 27, 2011

OCTOBER 28, 2011 A WALKING TOUR; WHAT THE F*CK IS A NEVELSON?









































"If you cannot work with love but only with distaste, it is better that you should leave your work..."
Khalil Gibran




I can not imagine being a doctor if I didn't love what I do. It is tough at times. I am sure many of us feel this way at one time or another in our work. How could I heal if I didn't love what I do? I do not like every aspect of my job. I do not like telling a patient there is a high suspicion of cancer and then confirming that suspicion. I do love when someone feels better after suffering for a period of a time with an illness. I love people. I love talking to people.

At one point in my life I didn't like the office I was employed in as a physician. I decided to leave after 2 years. It was a bold move considering I had just started practicing, but I was miserable and unhappy each and every day. I resigned. I think about that today. It was something I had to do in order to get where I am today.




Preserving an image on a camera is something I have taken for granted over the years. But it provides important connections to my past. Without photographs, I would have no evidence of my grandparents 50th and then their 60th wedding anniversaries, my high school championship win for the one mile walk or even just how tiny my children were when they were born. Yes, photography is a hobby which I admire. Some people have a great eye for capturing moments. One person in particular is Rick. Yes photography can be a hobby, but for some it is a lifetime career.




As I was thinking about photography (which I dabble in-- I am not that good), I was thinking about art, particularly sculpture and its preservation.




A fun New York City activity is to visit all the statues in Central Park. There are plenty. I wanted something unique, and I couldn't think of anything till I remembered the documentary, Who the *$&% Is Jackson Pollock? Then I remembered the movie, Pollack starring Ed Harris.





Here is a real hard one that can be a fun hobby: What the F*CK is a Nevelson? Now this would be an adventure. She was a New Englander of extraordinary beauty, energy and talent: Louise Nevelson. She was a sculpturist. An artist. A woman not of her time. An eccentric woman who lived at 29 Spring Street towards the end of her life. Today, as in the 1970's, there are Nevelson sculptures scattered across the city. In the southeast corner of Central Park once stood Night Presence IV. I do not even know if it is still there. Rick and I will have a new adventure to find out!

She was born in Russia in the late 1890's. Her artwork is in every major museum in New York City, but I bet you have never heard of her. I didn't hear of her until reading a paperback book of her life some 8 years ago. I do not know why she popped into my mind this week. She had a artist's retrospective in 1967 at the Whitney. She had given the museum more than $350,000 worth of art at that time. She constantly pursued her independence, sometimes won and sometimes lost- but always prevailed. She died on April 17, 1988. She was a woman artist, unheard of at her time in her life. Yes we all know Georgia O'Keefe, but few know the life, love and work of Louise Nevelson.

Her memorial service was held in the Medieval Sculpture Hall of the Metropolitan Museum. She donated more than 5 million dollars worth of her sculptures to the Metropolitan and Chicago Museums before her death. I guess since visiting the Dali Museum in St. Petersberg I have art on my mind.

Sometimes like photographs, art work is lost. Sadly, in the 9/11 attacks lives were lost. The public artwork display was also lost. Nevelson's 1978 wood relief Sky Gate, depicting the New York skyline was lost.





Your task ..my task.. find Louise Nevelson works throughout the City of New York. Some are housed in museums and some are scattered across this City That Never Sleeps. A different kind of hobby, to boost your self esteem and...just plain fun!




"Some of us come on earth seeing, Some of us come on earth seeing color."
-Louise Nevelson



Until tomorrow...

No comments:

Post a Comment