Monday, October 3, 2011

OCTOBER 4, 2011






















"Human beings figure out somewhat more of their true direction, not by the high stars, but by stubbing their toes on things stuck in the mud they are slogging through." - Carolyn Gratton


Can you tell what is real in your life? This takes a true act of humility. True humility is stripping away false notions about yourself and the situations you face. We have all faced situations where we had to look at the false notions and tell the whole truth about our self. This takes great courage and strength. I can tell you when I had to face the truth about myself and my life, it was difficult but rewarding as if a boulder was lifted from my shoulders. Yesterday a patient was telling me about her relationship with one of her children. I had to look at my current situations with one of my children. I reflected and was able to help that woman through my own story. It took humility and strength, but I had to. I needed to tell this patient that her trials are not unique. I needed to tell her I am human and a parent, and that I deal with similar situations daily. I have learned this: I have my own agenda in this lifetime. I am NOT going to be swept away in other people's agenda for me. I resist the urge to select only the evidence that validates the least optimistic interpretation of circumstances. I want to tell it like it is. Life is not easy for anyone, and I am no exception.

Today I was thinking about my grandparents, Nanny and Poppy. It seems so long ago. I was reflecting on the last years of their lives. My father, brother and I had decided to have an aide take care of each of them in their own home. Her name was Cyress. She was a 60 year old Jamaican woman. After my grandmother passed away, Cyress became a constant companion for my Poppy. He moved her to the bedroom and he slept on the pull out couch in order to make her breakfast.

Cyress introduced her own Jamaican food to my grandfather. She particularly liked fruit, especially Guava and Pimento. The Guava is a unique fruit. It has been used culturally for gastrointestinal problems. Its seeds are revered by birds, bats, and even rats. Children love the seeds of the fruit also. The flesh meat of the fruit is an antimicrobial agent for bacteria and fungus. The fruit is high in flavenoids especially quercitin. It has a high content of oils, eugenol as well as tannins. The tannins give guava its antioxidant properties.



Try a guava... you will love it


Until tomorrow..

























No comments:

Post a Comment