Saturday, October 29, 2011

OCTOBER 30, 2011 MAMA MIA ... IT'S OREGANO





















"May the bridges I burn light the way."





I have burned many bridges in my time. Most of them were burned during the years I was not sober. I try to the best of my ability not to burn bridges today. You never know. Years ago not only did I burn the bridge but I treated everything and everybody as if "black or white". There was no in between-there was no grey. If I got hurt or disappointed by someone, immediately he/she was cut out of my life. The freezer might be another choice. Today I do not cut people out of my life, but I am more careful. I need to protect myself. We all need to protect ourselves.




As an Italian, there are certain herbs my family, especially my grandfather used in his cooking. There was basil, fennel, thyme, rosemary and of course, oregano (Origanum vulgare). This herb is also called Wild Oregano or Wild Marjoram. According to Matthew Wood, this is an old world mint. It is analogous to its American cousin Montarda fistulosa which until recently I had never heard of. Not only do some of my patients use oregano for infection but many use the essential oil, Oil of Oregano. The Oregano plant contains flavinoids, trepenoids, Vitamin A and C and of course, the volatile oils.



I think it is important to mention the taste. David Winston RH lectures on the ten different tastes of herbs. This herb is pungent. The energetic of a pungent herb is hot/dry. Garlic, cayenne pepper and ginger are also pungent herbs. I use pungent herbs for digestion, better kidney flow, and as an antibacterial.


Oregano is used for cold and flu, respiratory tract infections, candida and surprisingly, for tinnitus (ringing in the ears). It is also great for halitosis - too bad for Clark Gable's leading ladies that he did not know about it!


As far as the essential oil of oregano, this is a good broad spectrum anti infective remedy high in the phenol called carvacrol. This oil has great antioxidant and immuno-boosting actions. It can be used for parasitic infections as well as viral infections, even shingles.


Oil of oregano is volatile. It should not be used without discussing it with your health care practitioner. Oregano oil should not be used on an on going basis for any reason. Just as you can develop resistance to antibiotic drugs, you can also develop oregano oil resistance. The reason I feel there is over abuse of oregano is because it is now available in gel cap, and over the counter oregano oil. Be wise and careful!


Surprisingly to me, oregano is not mentioned in the bible. James Duke's Medicinal Plants of the Bible does mention one species of oregano. It is the Lebanese Oregano (Origanum syriacum L.). This species is referred to hyssop in the Bible. This oregano grows abundantly in the Holy Land, but is different from the oregano discussed above.


"May you purify me from sin with hyssop, that I may be clean; may you wash me, that I may become whiter than even snow."


--Psalms 5:17 (NWT)





Until tomorrow...


No comments:

Post a Comment