Saturday, October 29, 2011

OCTOBER 31, 2011 CUCURBITA PEPO.























































"WE ARE CONTINUALLY FACED BY GREAT OPPORTUNITIES BRILLIANTLY DISGUISED AS INSOLUBLE PROBLEMS." - lee iococca




What you think is insoluble is not! It is disguised. How many disguises do we have within us? Are these disguises a means of defense mechanism? We all use defense mechanisms. These are means by which some of us simply get through life. I've had many defense mechanisms in the past. I am sure I still retain some, but the difference is today I can tell when these mechanisms are getting stronger and insidious...like addictions. I realize today that I have great opportunities ahead of me. What I have or do is not enough. I am always in search of more. Life is too short. I want to do more in life. I should be content with what I have, but I am not. I am a perpetual student---perhaps this is my disguise!



What is Cucurbita pepo? It is simply Pumpkin which is an appropriate choice for today. The Greeks called it one of the "four greater cold seeds" according to Matthew Wood (Old World Medicinal Plants)
The part of the pumpkin used medicinally are the seeds. The pulp is now used for pumpkin soup which has become increasingly popular. The content of the seeds are a fatty oil, curcurebitin, albumin, lecithin and phytosterin. In Sauer's Herbal Cures, pumpkin is discussed as a remedy for worms and tapeworms. There is an anti-helmintic shake called Pepita which is used to rid the body of tapeworms.


Reflecting back I have always loved pumpkin seeds, although when I grew up it was not that popular. I particularly love the salted ones.Today, because of its protein content, zinc content and its positive effect of the prostate--more of us consume pumpkin seeds. Men not only reap the good benefits on the prostate, but zinc is needed for sperm motility. Do I recommend pumpkin seeds to women? The answer is yes for the irritable bladder (sometimes called interstitial cystitis).


Other uses of pumpkin seeds are for bloating, gastric burning, and even hot flashes (not menopausal flashes but hot flashes due to hot spicy foods)



So pumpkin seeds are good for more than just the prostate. I recommend the fresh seeds. I have even seen other herbalists use the pumpkin seed oil.





Another reminder is that beta carotene is also found in pumpkin.






Until tomorrow...

No comments:

Post a Comment