Friday, October 28, 2011

OCTOBER 29, 2011 IF MY FRIENDS COULD SEE ME NOW


































"A simple shift in attitude can help us recognize the hidden potential for fulfillment in every event" Kwee Lain, DailyOM



I do know if I like the first part of the phrase. I would rather read "A simple shift in gratitude..." I have learned that it is gratitude not attitude that counts. I understand and recognize what the phrase is saying but I might change it if I was the author.




I would love to control the situation when it comes to treatment of diseases using a natural approach in lieu of conventional medications. There are many integrative treatments for glaucoma. This is a hot topic. I utilize many supplements as well as herbs to treat glaucoma.



As I am writing this I am thinking about the song "If My Friends Could See Me Now..." from the 1966 Broadway musical, Sweet Charity staring Gwen Verdon. You probably know the more popular 1969 film adaption of Sweet Charity staring Shirley MacLaine. I do not see many of my friends from years gone by- grade school, middle school, high school or college- If they could see me now...what would they say???? The only 'school' friends I am in contact with are from my Fellowship in Integrative Medicine or the NE School of Botanical Medicine.





The term glaucoma is defined as a collection of diseases that causes optic nerve damage and the diagnosis should not be based on just the intraocular pressure (IOL) There are many types- open angle, narrow angle, low tension secondary and even congenital.





Let me tell you a myth about glaucoma. It is a myth - lowering eye pressure with eye drops will prevent further damage. THERE IS NO TRUTH IN THAT MYTH.





The contributing factors to glaucoma which are stress, poor diet or nutritional deficiencies, and obesity. A diet high in beta carotene, Vitamin C and Vitamin E and selenium will help. The foods containing these supplements are garlic, onions (they are in the same genus) spinach, celery, turnips, yellow and orange vegetables, leafy green vegetables, seaweed, apples, tomatoes and oranges. I think you should add them by using the colored powders (Greens, Reds, Purples, Oranges) at Longevity Nutritionals. Also drink lots of water to allow proper toxic metabolic wastes from the eye tissue.





I have even seen glaucoma worsen in patients who have food allergies especially wheat/dairy/vinegar products. Eye pressure has been shown to increase when patients are exposed to MSG.





There are essential nutritional supplements for the eye. One is the well discussed Vitamin C. It lowers the eye pressure through a combination of decreasing fluid production in the eye and improving output of the aqueous humor. Essential Fatty acids may reduce the chronic inflammation. So do not forget your fish oils. Also you can use black currant oil and flax seed oil if you do not to ingest fish oils. Studies have shown that alpha lipoic acid benefits the color vision in patients with glaucoma. It also enhances glutathione, Vitamin E and Vitamin C.






The amino acid, taurine protects the eye from neurotoxins that include excessive levels of glutamate that is responsible for the loss of ganglion cells and optic nerve damage.






I love to use Coleus forskohlii as it has been shown to lower the intraocular pressure by relaxing the smooth muscles of the eye. Unfortunately you cannot get a food source for coleus, you must take the supplement. I have seen many patients use Coleus, and must then reduce their conventional Opthalmic drops like Timoilol or Alphagan.





I am a little cautious about Ginkgo biloba as there is a high increased incidence of bleeding. Yet other studies to reveal that ginkgo lowers IOC. There again is no natural food source for ginkgo.



Vaccinium myrtillus (Bilberry) has more than 50 years of research on its benefits for the eye. It also has other great uses, but most are familiar with the eye. Bilberry improves the delivery of oxygen and blood to the eye. It has many antioxidants.






Get Greens, Reds, Purples and Oranges for your eyes at Longevity Nutritionals.







Until tomorrow...

No comments:

Post a Comment