Tuesday, October 4, 2011

OCTOBER 5, 2011 THE UNDERSTUDIED HEMORRHOIDS























"Do not settle for a relationship that won't let you be yourself." - Oprah

I have done that in the past, and I know I will never do it again. I couldn't be who I wanted to be in my past relationships. I always felt I was walking on egg shells. I was fearful of getting rejected. Can you imagine that? We all have been there. Why did I put myself through that? The reason is I had a low self esteem at that time in my life. Today I am happy, joyous and free. I am at peace... joyful and serene. I do not have to worry about that. I am content with my life and the relationship I have . I have evolved. Some might not agree, but it is what I feel that matters--not the opinions of others. I value me.


Do you value yourself?

I know that hemorrhoids are understudied and not very often discussed. Let's face it who wants to discuss dilated veins in your rectum! It is hard to believe but 1/2 of all Americans have some discomfort in their rectal area secondary to hemorrhoids. Only 4% seek medical attention. The hemorrhoid tissue, or the so called hemorrhoids cushion contain blood vessels and supporting tissue. When these cushions enlarge they will begin to cause some disturbance. The most common symptom is bleeding. Most likely the bleeding is seen by the patient on the toilet paper or sometimes in the toilet bowl. When the blood droplet falls in the toilet bowl it seems to the patient that he/she is having a massive bleed or hemorrhage. This is not true.

There are two types of hemorrhoids: internal and external. External are visible outside the anal canal. Hemorrhoids are internal if they originate near the anus but not outside the anus.



Regardless whether they are internal or external hemorrhoids, if symptomatic- they are a pain in the ass- NO PUN INTENDED.



No one knows the cause of hemorrhoids. Is it straining during bowel movements or a genetic predisposition? It can be seen in a patient with a sedentary lifestyle or those who are obese. It is even seen when there is pressure on the rectal veins due to poor posture. I see patients with a fiber-poor diet who have hemorrhoids.

Most people never seek medical attention for their hemorrhoids until they are extremely painful. There are four different stages for hemorrhoids.

Most people will use the over-the-counter meds such as Preparation H.

The most common treatment for an herbalist is a plant from the Lily family. The genus and species is Ruscus aculeatus. This is also kown as Butcher's Broom. This herb's use for hemorrhoids has been approved by the German E monographs. 69% of 124 patients rated Butcher's room very efficacious in treating their hemorrhoids. This herb has even been studied on pregnant females with hemorrhoids with no adverse affect to the mother or the fetus. Most of the studies I have reviewed use 150 mg three times a day. I always prefer tinctures since I do not know the absorptive capacity of the patient. I recommend 40 drops three times a day.



I do know that my father used Witch Hazel (Hamamelis virginiana) for his external hemorrhoids. My father was not sedentary but was a truckologist. This was his name for a 'truck driver'. My dad drove massive trucks to many places within the New York area and out of state. The constant bouncing and sitting in the cab of the truck predisposed him to have hemorrhoids. Most patients think of witch hazel only as a topical treatment. It contains tannins, flavinoids and a volatile oil. I regard witch hazel as an astringent. By the way Preparation H contains 50% witch hazel. The tannins in witch hazel are the healing component.

I have discussed hemorrhoid treatment with other herbalists. Some of them have favored Arnica compresses, while others Chamomile infusion.

Find the right herbal remedy for you.


Top photograph: Butcher's Broom

Bottom Photograph: Witch hazel

Until tomorrow...

No comments:

Post a Comment