Saturday, October 22, 2011

OCTOBER 24, 2011 THE FUNGI IMPERFECTI: SALVADOR DALI












"Smart people learn only from their teachers. Wise people learn from everyone" Yehuda Berg



I have used this quote before in the past. This past weekend is an example of learning, educating and 'fulfilling a dream'. Earlier this year, I became a registered herbalist (RH) from the American Herbal Guild (AHG) so this year I attended this conference as an MD RH. This weekend the conference was held in St. Petersburg Florida. I didn't know where St Petersburg was, but I knew one fact: The Salvador Dali Museum is located there. I had two reasons to attend this conference. For one reason or another I have been fascinated with Dali since I was a teenager. I have read, visited museums that had a single Dali work, and prior to 2005 I went to the Philadelphia Museum of Art to see their exhibition. Rick and I have even been to his museum in Spain.


I was not an ideal conference attendee this year. I blocked the schedule on Saturday to go to the new Dali Museum. I had tears in my eyes as I approached the entrance. I couldn't believe I was there. I had a guided tour which was truly inspirational. I viewed The Hallucinogenic Toreador (1969-70) as well as other monumental canvases. Dali used the figure of Venus reproduced on a box of Venus pencils for the image of the dead toreador. This was one of many of his paintings that contains double images. I saw images of his wife, Gala in many of his paintings. I have viewed them all in books, but standing before the 14' by 10' work The Discovery of America by Christopher Columbis (1958-9) was breath taking. (http://www.thedali.org/)

I was sad to leave after a few hours. I walked down 1st Ave and acquired a bottle of local honey (of course) from a local market. I walked down Central Ave to the bus stop, passing shop after shop. I did that because I had googled "Needlepoint Stores in St Petersburg". It was a long walk to reach 2119 Central from 20 Central but I did it. I finally arrived at Silk Needle Arts. I found a canvas by Charlie Harper. This will be my third in a series. I need the Raccoons one day.

Then I returned to the conference to hear the most invigorating speaker (the previous night's Key Note) discuss MUSHROOMS.

Paul Stamets is one of the forerunners in the field of Mushrooms. His book 'Mycelium Running" (which he signed for me) is outstanding. It invigorates the mind. He is a visionary with the insight to try to save the world. He is doing just that. I cannot tell you how exciting this is. In a nut shell it goes like this. Microscopic cells, called mycelium (the underground part of a mushroom you do not see) recycle carbon, nitrogen and other essential elements. These mycelia break down animal and plant debris and create new soil. Paul has found that WE, THE EARTH MOTHER, can captivate this mycelium energy and power to decompose toxic waste (which is, by the way killing life as we know it on our planet). It goes farther than this. We can eliminate pathogens from our agricultural industry without traditional petrochemicals. By doing all this we can help forests and gardens to thrive. His possibilities for using mushrooms are endless. There are non harmful possibilities beyond our wildest dreams. The book is a must read for anyone. If you want to start simpler, read his Gourmet and Medicinal Mushroom book.


He is in my estimation the single most important person in the field of mushrooms. His lectures are always informative and real. Real in the sense that he loves what he does. He truly loves and gets excited about his field of mushrooms. He wants to save the Mother Earth. He is saving the Mother Earth with each new discovery and technique such as his new concept, the Life Box. It seems it takes our own government some time to catch on to this innovating, life saving and viable lesson to save our planet. Isn't this what we all should be doing? Not as intense as Paul, but in some way try to save the plants, the bees, the animals, and of course, yourself.


When people hear about Paul's work with mushrooms, they might say what an interviewer asked Salvador Dali--


The question was "Are you on drugs?" Dali replied, "I am a drug."


Until tomorrow...

No comments:

Post a Comment