Wednesday, October 13, 2010

OCTOBER 13, 2010 TOGETHER WITH MYRRH AND THYME







" Our lives unfold in small measures, just as small as they need to be for our personal comfort."

Thanks Karen

Our lives are always unfolding. If we let our lives unfold in large measures it becomes overwhelming. Pray and meditation is needed at all times. Prayer. Now there is a word not seen in most of our vocabulary. Who do we pray to? What do we pray for?
When praying we can be selfish and fall intop temptation for oneself. In throws of an trauma, addiction or problem, we usually pray to God to get "us out of this and we will never do it again." Sometimes he heard because those in 12 step program are still here. I have been taught to pray for others. Yes, even my enemies. I say to myself, " This one ought to be cured of his fatal malady." or " This one ought to be relieved of his/her emotional pain.' I pray for those who still have addictions, and those that might be sitting next to me . Being sober of any addiction does not release you from the -isms or the personality traits. There are some that are only sober from their vice. These prayers are fundamentally good acts. I will always pray for God's will to be done foremost for others and then for myself. My personal comfort should be small, and I want my life to unfold in tony small measures. It makes me appreciate it even more? I pray for those that are medically suffering from a disease. I pray that God spare them and their family of such suffering. Soemtimes I have to make decisions , sometimes suggestions that are difficult. In these times I pray and meditate that I am doing the best to my ability and Do No Harm.


Did you know that studies suggest that antibiotics rarely change the course of a sore throat ? If we treat every sore throat it is an open door for the patient to return for every small minor problem. I believe patients should listen to their bodies. There are many things a patient can do for themselves at home with herbs and supplements. Most sore throats are cuased by viruses. The common cold is a virus. Antibiotics are for bacterial infectiosn, not viral illnesses.

There are natural treatments with herbs and supplements for the common cold. Things that you can do:
1. Importance to rest
2. Avoid refined sugar
3. Drink as much water as possible
4. Gargle with tea made from herb, even rinse mouth
5. Use a soothing anti inflammatory tea for pain

In the past we have discussed Goldenseal ( Hydrastis canadensis ) which contains both berberine and hydrastine. Both have strong antibiotic activity. I have even found some zinc lozengers that contain goldenseal. I have also talked about Barberry ( Berberis vulgaris ). One herb I have not discussed is Myrrh ( Commiphora ssp). I like myrrh because is has both anti inflammatory and anti bacterial properties. I was in awe when reading Duke's Handbook for Medicinal Plants fo the Bible. Myrrh is mentioned in various texts of the bible, but which type of myrrh. I didn't know there are African myrrh, and Abyssinian Myrrh. I hinestly do not know how James Duke picked which myrrh was being taked about in the text.
For example: You robes are all fragrant with myrrh, and aloes and cassia. From Psalms 45:8 (RSV) This is under Abssiian myrrh

or My beloved put in his hand to the latch, and my heart was thrilled within me. I arose to open to my beloved and my hands dripped with myrrh, upon the handles of the bolt. From Song of Solomon 5:4-5 (RSV). This is under Myrrh.

There are many activities or uses for myrhh and in Duke's Handbook indicated for many conditions. I have a friend who dissolves myrrh in coffee for flavor. As a tincture I have used it or recommended to a dentist for the pain of gingivitis.

One herb grown in pots on the terrace is thyme ( Thymus vulgaris). The extracts from thyme especially the volatile oil, thymol has been used against bacteria. I think it should be added to wild flower honey to make a tasty, delicious cough syrup. Wild flower honey, not clove honey has antibiotic properties. Some herbalists use Slippery Elm. Two herbs which are used for inflammation in abundance are tumeric (Curcuma longa) and Ginger (Zingiber officinale ).


For Rick, Alyssa and Gregory with prayers of love in times of strife.

TOGETHER, WHEREVER WE GO
Lyrics by :Stephen Sondheim
From the play: Gypsy


Wherever we go, whatever we do,
we're gonna go through it together.
We may not go far, but sure as a star,
wherever we are, it's together.

Wherever I go I know he goes.
Wherever I go I know she goes.
No fits, no fights, no feuds
and no egos, Amigos, together!

Through thick and through thin,
all out or all in.
And whether it's win, place or show.
With you for me and me for you,
we'll muddle through whatever we do.
Together, wherever we go.

Rick/Patrick: Wherever we go, whatever we do,
we're gonna go through it together.
Patrick: Wherever we sleep, if prices are steep,
Rick:We'll always sleep cheaper together.

Patirck: Whatever the boat I row, you row.
Rick: A duo
Patrick: Whatever the row I hoe, you hoe.
Gregory: A trio.
Patrick: And any I. O. U., I owe you-oh's?
Rick: Who, me-oh? No, you-oh.
Alyssa: No, we-oh.
All: Together!

We all take the bow
Patrick: Including the cow,
All: though business is lousy and slow.
Patrick: With Herbie's vim, Louise's verve,
Rick and Gregory: Now all we need is someone with nerve.
Patrick: Together
Rick and Alyssa: Together
Patrick: Wherever
Rick and Gregory: Wherever
Patrick: Together, wherever,
All: Together, wherever we go.

Patrick: We go in a group,
All: We tour in a troupe.
We land in the soup, but we know
the things we do, we do by threes.
A perfect team.
Patrick: No, this way, Louise!
Together
Rick and Alyssa: Together
Rose: Wherever
Rick and Gregory: Wherever
All: Together, wherever we go!

1 comment:

  1. sore throat is not a lot of fun its just uncomfortable and difficult to swallow.

    usually, i would take the Nim Jiom Cough Syrup (www.geocities.jp/ninjiom_hong_kong/index_e.htm ) which has a thick consistency formulation. it coats the throat and includes herbs that are particularly good for that application.

    i hope it works on you as well.

    ReplyDelete