Tuesday, October 5, 2010

October 5, 2010 FRIENDS and FOES




"Love your enemies. It will drive them nuts." - Eleanor Doan

I hope I do not have enemies. It seems so harsh. I am sure, like everyone, there is someone who doesn't like me. That used to bother me in the past--Why doesn't he/she like me? What did I do to him/her? Today, I do not care if someone doesn't like me. The question is, do I like myself? The answer is Yes. Another question is, do I love myself? The answer is Yes, but not every day. The above quote says Love your enemies-but here is the real reason: “Love your enemies just in case your friends turn out to be bastards.” My mother used to say 'kill' your enemies with kindness. Sometimes, more often than not, something does bother me that he/she/group has done. I have learned through intense talks, contemplating etc - not to show that it bothers me.
I find it better to pray for those who might consider me an enemy. I want good karma in life. I try to be kind to everyone to the best of my ability. Am I perfect? No, and no one is perfect. It always is progress not perfection.

I do not want to discuss enemies without mentioning some quotes about friends. I love these:

“You meet people who forget you. You forget people you meet. But sometimes you meet those people you can't forget. Those are your friends.”

“A friend is someone who knows the song in your heart and can sing it back to you when you have forgotten the words.”

“A true friend is someone who thinks that you are a good egg even though he knows that you are slightly cracked.”

I can relate to all the quotes. The second one is my favorite, and I just grin when I think of the third one.


To help restore thyroid function, another good herb is Gotu kola (Centella asiatica). It is an adaptogen and increases thyroid hormone level and does increase the metabolic rate. I have used Gotu kola, especially for the symptoms of a low thyroid. You know when you are hypothyroidism - your joints are achy, stiff, and tender. I find that Centella restores joint mobility and elasticity to the patient with an underactive thyroid. I have also seen it strengthen nails in the patient with underactive thyroid. There are a few studies that indicate that Centella can promote good vascular tone and can reduce hardening of the arteries. I sometimes think herbs sound too good. Try them, --you'll like them.

Centella asiatica (Gotu Kola) (Vallarai - Tamil) is a small herbaceous annual plant of the family Mackinlayaceae or subfamily Mackinlayoideae of family Apiaceae, and is native to India, Sri Lanka, northern Australia, Indonesia, Iran, Malaysia, Melanesia, Papua New Guinea, and other parts of Asia.

The stems are slender, creeping stolons, green to reddish green in color, interconnecting one plant to another. It has long-stalked, green, reniform leaves with rounded apices which have smooth texture with palmately netted veins. The leaves are borne on pericladial petioles, around 2 cm long. The flowers are pinkish to red in color, born in small, rounded bunches (umbels) near the surface of the soil. Each flower is partly enclosed in two green bracts. The hermaphrodite flowers are minute in size (less than 3 mm), with 5-6 corolla lobes per flower. Each flower bears five stamens and two styles. The fruit are densely reticulate, distinguishing it from species of Hydrocotyle which have smooth, ribbed or warty fruit.

Centella grows along ditches and in low wet areas. In Indian and Southeast Asian centella, the plant frequently suffers from high levels of bacterial contamination, possibly from having been harvested from sewage ditches. Because the plant is aquatic, it is especially sensitive to pollutants in the water, which are easily incorporated into the plant.

Centella is used as a leafy green in Sri Lankan cuisine, where it is called Gotu Kola. A variation of the extremely nutritious porridge known as Kola Kenda is also made with Gotu Kola by the Sinhalese people of Sri Lanka. Kola Kenda is made with very well boiled red rice (with extra liquid), coconut milk and Gotu Kola which is liquidized. The porridge is accompanied with Jaggery for sweetness. Centella leaves are also used in the sweet "pennywort drink."

In different countries the uses of gotu kola differ and how it is prepared varies.

Gotu kola is a mild adaptogen, is mildly antibacterial, anti-viral, anti-inflammatory, anti-ulcerogenic, anxiolytic, a cerebral tonic, a circulatory stimulant, a diuretic, nervine and vulnerary.

Until tomorrow...

No comments:

Post a Comment