Friday, October 8, 2010

October 9 -10, 2010 The Even Balanced Soul



“Ordinary riches can be stolen, real riches cannot. In your soul are infinitely precious things that cannot be taken from you.” - Oscar Wilde 1854-1900


Your soul- what can be said of your soul? A profound teacher, great clinician and ready wit sums it up like this:
"The greatest gift that nature or grace can bestow on a man is the acquus animus, the even balanced soul; but unfortunately nature rather than grace, disposition rather than education, determines its existence. I cannot agree... that it is not to be acquired. On the contrary, I maintain that much may be done to cultivate a cheerful heart." - Sir William Osler


I like the fact that nature rather than grace can determine its existence, yet both can bestow the even balanced soul. Do you have an even balanced soul? Possibly it is what I believe, teach and practice - body, mind and soul (or spirit). You must look at both dietary and exercise lifestyle changes in order to start a change. These fall under the medical, but no medical issue can be discussed without the psycho-social part. The psycho-social is as important as the medical. I consider both addiction and meditation under the social, where as self-esteem, anger/resentment and self love are stress issues.

Today I want to briefly discuss meditation. It can always be further developed at any time. It has no boundaries. You can simply start by relearning breathing techniques, or you can start with CD breathing lessons. Whichever way you want to start--it doesn't matter as long as you begin. As I see it, the main purpose of meditation is to improve your conscious contact with the God of your understanding.

I have a daily responsibility to God: my meditation and prayer. I had a responsibility this weekend to be with my partner and his parents. I take my responsibilities very seriously. Do you take yours seriously? My heart swells with love and happiness whenever I can do something esteemable for anyone- family, my children, friends, patients and especially Rick. As the weekend comes to a close, start by forgiving yourself and forgiving others. Put all your soul into meditation and prayer.

Making a difference in the world begins where you live. You can attend public meetings about the environment. Look at the decisions that are being made about the environment. Do you play an active role in your community about environmental issues? Two years ago, Rick and I started by informing the Fire Island community about recycling as well 'being green'. What I didn't know then is that I would want to take an active role in protecting the plant species on Long Island. I want to help others preserve the seashore. Look at the things that can be recycled and how you use and store chemicals such as fertilizers. Try composting. Composting is a process whereby plant matter is converted into a usable natural fertilizer hrough a microbial process. Not enough composting is done in Fire Island. Some of the surrounding communtities have started to compost.

Do not litter anywhere. Save the marine and plant life. I want to save the Beach Plum (Prunus maritima ), American Holly (Ilex opaca ), and Shadbush or Juneberry (Amelanchier arborea ) .

Until tomorrow...

No comments:

Post a Comment