Wednesday, October 6, 2010

OCTOBER 6, 2010 PARK AVE OR FIFTH AVE





"BE AWARE OF THE BLESSINGS OF FRIENDSHIP AND KNOW THAT TO HAVE A FRIEND YOU MUST BE ONE IN RETURN."
Thanks Karen

So true. Friendship is a two way street. There needs to be open communication. In the past friendships were always one sided. I always called. I always mailed. I always arranged events. To a degree I still do that, but at least I have no expectations of what the other person (friend) will do. I know in my heart there will be reciprocation. I chose wisely today. I have extended the word friend to also mean 'family' - Family is also a two way street.

Why do you always give, give, give? Do you need to be wanted or loved? Are you afraid you are not good enough? You are a people pleaser. I can say this because I was that person. It is a daily reprieve and a process of learning that has allowed me to change. This change has made me a better person. A better doctor. A better father. A better partner. I love the person I am today. Do I love me every day? Absolutely not, but I love myself today more than I have in the past. This is progress, not perfection. Make a list of your friends. Look at each name on that list. Is each one of them a true friend, or an acquaintance? Is your friendship with him/her a Park Avenue or a 5th Avenue, meaning a two way street versus a one way street. Change only your behaviors. If he/she is a true friend, they might see a new you and change. Have no expectations. Be surprised. If not you can always put them in the freezer!


Another herb that can increase thyroid hormone levels is Siberian Ginseng ( Eleutherococcus senticosis ) This herb is used to modify the hypothalamus axis. This means that it will exert its effect on the brain- hypothalamus and pituitary glands.

It is a species of small, woody shrub in the family Araliaceae native to Northeastern Asia. It is commonly called eleuthero, and was previously marketed in the United States as Siberian Ginseng because it has similar herbal properties to those of Panax ginseng. However, it belongs to a different genus in the family Araliaceae, and it is currently illegal in the United States to market eleuthero as Siberian Ginseng since "ginseng" only refers to Panax species

E. senticosus is an adaptogen that has a wide range of health benefits attributed to its use. I have used this herb for increased endurance , memory improvement, anti-inflammatory, chemo-protective and radiological protection. For patients on chemotherapy it has shown some benefit for the side effects of the chemotherapy.

I have seen it boost libido in men. However with all the good benefits, I have seen some individuals get excitable, irritable, and hypoglycemic when using it. It is my understanding from herbalist colleagues that Eleuthro should only be used for 2-3 months. There should be a break and re-evaluated by a health care practitioner if the herb should be continued or discontinued.

Until tomorrow...

No comments:

Post a Comment