Saturday, October 16, 2010

October 16, 2010 IF I KNEW YOU WERE COMING I'D BAKE A PIE






" One of the most valuable things we can do to heal one another is to listen to each other's stories." -Rebecca Falls

I do not think as human beings we listen enough to each other. Sometimes I think people turn others out. In a way I do that when listening to drama. I had enough drama this summer with a volunteer position, that I have had enough for a lifetime.
As a health care practitioner, I listen. More can be said of one's illness if you listen to the patient rather than examining the body. Patients tell me their diagnosis by listening to their stories. I love patient stories. I feel I can gain more knowledge of the patient as a person than any other way. I love to ask about their previous jobs. I ask about their childhood and growing up in their hometowns. I ask just about anything. Then I sit and listen. Sit and listen. Have you ever asked a question and just listened to the answer ? To sit and listen is empowering. Just to have the ability to sit and listen is an accomplishment. I must clear my mindof any thoughts and focus on the person that is talking. Do you find that difficult ? Medicine is an art. Listening is an artistic skill. I do not know how you learn it but it does take practice. Practice listening to another person and not moving, nor fidgeting, or speaking. You will see it is an art.


Today, Ithaca was cold, but not rainy. It is art to be a herbalist. To monitor and adjust formulas. How much and how often, respectively called frequency and quantity. While we walked with wildcrafting papers in hand, we got to taste edible wildflowers and wild plants. At tis point in the season there are few to taste, but I did taste a crab apple, which tasted sour and other berries. I do have 8 favorite edible wildflowers which I will share with you.
1. Elder (Sambucus canadensis)
2. Wild carrot , Queen Anne's lace ( Daucus carota )
3. Mint ( peppermint, spearmint ) ( Mentha spp. )
4. Dandelions ( Taraxacum officinale )
5. Hawthorn ( Crataegus spp)
6. Evening Primrose ( Oenotera biennis )
7. Garden Sorrel ( Oxalis spp )
8. Cattail ( Typha latifolia)

I love to learn. My happiest monments this summer have been in the woods of Ithaca collecting herbs. To make a tincture, or formulate one is an art. Sharing different frmulations with friends and colleagues is a great way of learning. Since we all are worrying about the flu, I want to share an herbal secret formulation.
It is combining 5 herbs:
1. Oregon graperoot
2. Yarrow
3. Marshmellow
4. Meadowsweet
5. Licorice
I have discussed 4 of the 5 herbs in this blog. I ave never discussed Oregon Graperoot. Oregon-grape, Mahonia aquifolium, Berberidaceae) is an evergreen shrub related to the barberry. Some authors place Mahonia in the barberry genus, Berberis.The alkaloid, berberine is the useful medicine in the plant.Oregon-grape root is commonly used medicinally as an effective alternative to the threatened goldenseal. Both plants similarly contain the alkaloid berberine, known as an anti-inflammatory and anti-bacterial used in the treatment of infection. The Oregon-grape is not closely related to grapes, but gets its name from the purple clusters of berries whose color and slightly dusted appearance is reminiscent of grapes. It is sometimes called Tall Oregon-grape.

Herbalism is an art. Cooking is an art. Since I do not know a cooking dish I could make with Oregon grape, I decided to give you a recipe of another berry. Rick is the chef of the family.Elderberry (Sambucus canadensis) is to prevent and treat colds and flu.The elderberry flower contain rutin, quercetin and other bioflavinoids. These are important antioxidants.
ELDERBERRY -APPLE PIE
Ingredients:
2 cups elderberries
1 cup blackberries
2 cups cooking apples
3 tablespoons of brown sugar ( not for the diabetic)
1 egg
1 teaspoon cinnamon
1/2 teaspoon nutmeg
1 teaspoon almond flour ( FOR THE GLUTEN FREE )
3 tablespoons of butter
1 9-inc store bought gluten free shell

Mix the berries and apples, stir in the brown sugar. You can use maple syrup if desired. Add in the egg, nutmeg and cinnamon. Pour al the contents in the pie shell crust. Pinch in the flour and then pour the butter over the filling. Bake pie at 325 degrees for 45-55 minutes.
Hmmmmmm. Have with a cup of neetles tea.

Until tomorrow...
Top photograph: Elderberry Pie
Middle photograph: Elderberry
Bottom photograph: Oregon-grape

No comments:

Post a Comment