Sunday, October 17, 2010

October 17, 2010 Accept the Nervines and a Cattail Breakfast







" Acceptance does not mean that I have to agree. I do not have to approve nor even like it. I just have to accept."

Thanks Karen

Acceptance is the key. It is the 3rd "A". Th first is awareness. The second is the acknowledgement and the third is acceptance. It is difficult to accept things . You do not have to approve nor like it. Just accept it. Accept your character defects. Accept the fact that you have no cotrol over others. You do not control others, nor do you have to accept what he/she believes or doesn't believe. I used to find this difficult, but now I go with the flow. I had to accept that I belonged in a twelve step program. By far it has been one of my greatest accomplishments to accept that fact. It has made me a better physician, father, son, friend and life partner. Have you accepted a fact about yourself that isn't so pleasant ? What do you need to accept the fact that you are a carbohydrate or sugar addict ? Perhaps you have to accept the fact that you love drama, especially relationship drama ? I have recently heard that someone with long time sobriety went back 'out' due to relationship drama. Perhaps this is a chatracter defect or personality trait that he/she wasn't willing to look in the mirror. Be kinder to yourself--accept your flaws. We all have
have them !

I didn't thinlk I would discuss the nervine herbs again. I discussed the nervine herbs in mid September. A relaxing nervine for me has been my acceptance that I love plants. It has been the acceptance that I love herbs and should continue to use them in my life for patients and myself.
The three 'worrywort' herbs for the 'ever worrying person include:
1. Skullcap (Scutellaria lateriflores)
2. Blue verain ( Verbena hastata)
3. Passionflower ( Passiflora incarnata )

Of the three only skullcap is a skeletal muscle relaxant. Allk three are used for the Anxious Depressive individual. Those that feel overstimulated. The person feels consumed by the world around them. Their personality affect is flat. All three also do not affect mental ability, or the impairment of memory and ability to focus. I am constantly learning. Another weekend of learning has excited me even more about plants. It validates what I always believed and what I have been practicing. The dose of skullcap is dose dependent, yet all three ( skullcap, blue vervain and passionflower) can be given as 1/2 dropperful to 2 dropperful 1(one) to 5(five) times a day. As discussed not being able to "let go' of any resentment or anger can have deleterious affects on the body and spirit. Blue vervain besides being a 'worry wort plant' is the 'letting go plant' There is always a high rate of the patients drinking the tea or using the tincture want more. I believe this is a good sign that the herb is working its magic. Does it work on everyone ? Absolutely not. I have seen all three work on some individuals and some work on 50% of the users.
Before leaving Ithaca as usual I stopped in the Green Star market. I had to replenish my blue vervain, neetles and wild oat teas. I wanted something to eat . I saw cattail (Typha latifolia ) I couldn't think if I had Cattail before until I remembered being served a waffle with Cattail pollen. It wasn't any waffle. It was called a Nutrition Waffle. So here it goes.

Nutrition Waffles
Ingredients:
1. Low fat Bisquick
2. 1 cup of buckwheat (gluten free) flour
3. Handful of chopped almonds
4. 1/2 cup to 3/4 cup of Cattail pollen
5. 3 tablespoons of ground flax seeds ( must be ground fine)
6. 1/2 cup of cooked quinoa cereal
7. 1/2 cup of goat or almond milk
8. 1/2 cup of anby berry in season ( or organic: try www.vitalchoice.com )
9. 1 organic egg
10. one lemon

Break the egg, squeeze half a lemon and pour 1/2 cup of goat or almond milk in a bowl. Pour in the bowl the paleolithic waffle mix you have above. Spray the skillet with some canola . Now start to make your 4-5 waffles. This energy rich, high fiber, and protein rich waffles are the best breakfast you have had in a long time.

ABove are Cattails. You all have seen them at one time in your life.

Until tomorrow...

No comments:

Post a Comment