Monday, October 18, 2010

October 18, 2010 Feast of St. Luke's / 'Flaking off' Memories





“Memory is a way of holding on to the things you love, the things you are, the things you never want to lose.”
Kevin Arnold

“The heart that truly loves never forgets.”

“We all have our time machines. Some take us back, they're called memories. Some take us forward, they're called dreams.”
Jeremy Irons

“A moment lasts all of a second, but the memory lives on forever.”

" It's surprising how much of memory is built around things unnoticed at the time”
Barbara Kingsolver

“I've never tried to block out the memories of the past, even though some are painful. I don't understand people who hide from their past. Everything you live through helps to make you the person you are now.”
Sophia Loren


On October 18, 1925, James Calamis married Josephine Mendola. I am part of that heritage. I am the grandson of their family tree. Every quote on memories rings a bell for me. I was fortunate along with my brother, Paul to be able to have those memories. Our Nanny and Poppy were our permanent baby sitters. They lived with us our entire lives. My Nanny was the world to me. I love her stories. I listened to her stories, and to this day can recite them with the same inflection and diction she used. At 15 years old I witnessed the renewing of their vows along with the family at St. Patrick's Cathedral in January 1975. The next day my Poppy opened up the Daily News on the way to work in New York City and their photo was spread across the page. He bought 15 copies of the paper that day. My mother gave them a 55th anniversary party. Neither of their children would live to see them celebrate their 60th Diamond Wedding Anniversary. My father, Paul and I had a quiet intimate family celebration. If you ask my Poppy , "How did you stay married all these years ?" He replied it is a Danish proverb, "The blind wife and the deaf husband. " My Nanny died in 1988, shy of their 63rd Wedding Anniversary. My Poppy died in his sleep . He was 93 years old. Thanks for the Memories...
Another memory is from last month. Rick, Alyssa, Gregory and I went to Little Italy for the Feast of Saint Gennaro. At the beginning of the feast we went to pin money of the saint. Rick bought each of us a special saint pendant. Both children got their name saints. I decided to get the patron saint of Physicians- St. Luke.
St. Luke the Evangelist was author of the Gospel of Luke and the Acts of the Apostles. He is the patron saint of physicians, surgeons, students, butchers, and artists. The Feast of St. Luke is celebrated today the 18th October. Perhaps it is no coincidence that St Luke's -Roosevelt Hospital is one of my admitting hospitals in New York City.
What memories do you have ? Think of some. They will make you smile as well as cry. Crying is good.

The prayer to St. Luke's:

Most charming and saintly Physician, you were animated by the heavenly Spirit of love. In faithfully detailing the humanity of Jesus, you also showed his divinity and his genuine compassion for all human beings. Inspire our physicians with your professionalism. And with divine compassion for their patients, enable them to cure the ills of both body and spirit that afflict so many of our day. Amen

May you welcome Elena into heaven as she has been a loving , compassionate woman of divine faith for her entire life.
Also, health to all families, especially a speedy recovery for Nancy Byrd and Meami


A condition we never consier to talk about is seborrheic dermatitis. This is plain old Dandruff. I remember I had dandruff as a teenager. I was told to do Selsun Blue shampoo for its high content of selenium. Usually the dandruff is affected with a yeast or fungus. Usually it is the species of Tinea. Dandruff appears as flaking scales of skin and redness of the scalp. It can occur on the upper shoulders, face and back. It is a chronic inflammation that can last a lifetime.
I love organic shampoos that contain selenium, zinc and pyrithione. Historically the Chicksaw Indians used corn oil on the scalp. I prefer flax seed oil or primrose oil instead of corn oil.
I had some success with diluting Tea Tree Pol in almond oil and rub on the scalp before bedtime. There are a handful of anti-fungal essential oils which include eucalptus, myrrh, marigold, tumeric and cedarwood.

There are 4 appropiate herbs for making the antidandruff hair rinse. The order is my order of use and preference.
1. Rosemary ( Rosemary officinalis)
2. Sage ( Salvia officinalis)
3. Myrrh ( Commiphora spp)
4. Thyme (Thymus vulgaris)

Two photographs of St. Luke's, Patron Saint of Physician's
One Photograph: My Nanny and Poppy on their 50th Wedding Anniversary (1975)

No comments:

Post a Comment