Saturday, October 30, 2010

OCTOBER 30, 2010 GIVE A 'PUT' FOR GOOD HEALTH






“The value of a man resides in what he gives and not in what he is capable of receiving.”


“Life is a gift, and it offers us the privilege, opportunity, and responsibility to give something back by becoming more.”


Do you give of yourself? If you have much, do you give of your wealth? It has been said, that when you give of yourself you truly give. Giving not receiving is the answer. The first quote is from Albert Einstein. Not everyone gives in this world. I have divided the world, or at least my world into givers and takers. I do know that I have never been a taker. I have tried to the best of my ability to be a giver.

Some individuals are not capable of giving. There are others who only know how to survive by taking. I have known both. I pray and meditate for those who are only takers. I feel they have missed an opportunity in their life to grow and change. Perhaps their childhood was difficult. Perhaps there was a dysfunctional family upbringing. Whose family is not dysfunctional? I have never met the perfect family. I know now that there is no perfect family.

I have finally learned to not only give to others which is important, but to give to myself. Giving to one's self is so important. On a daily basis I give to myself. I allow time to pray and meditate. I allow time to stitch a canvas (or 2, or 3, or 4). I allow time to be conscious of my breath. I allow time to read. And now I allow time to observe nature and its beauty--especially the plants. What to you allow time to do? Shift your mind so that you feel excited and eager to make the necessary changes in your life and...
transform your mood, confidence and sense of well being. Both are essential.


Plants shifted my mind and I become eager to make changes in my life. Studying about plants has transformed my mood, especially in a six week period when I have felt a void. It started when I heard a guest speaker, Rosita Arvido. She is a healer. A healer with love, appreciation and devotion to mankind. She learned through the healers of Belize Mexico and their forbearers. She learned from them to teach and spread the word on various plants and their remedies to future generations. I gravitated to the passion in her speech. We do know that technology has led to a greater loss of information (ethnobotanical information) on plants. I have learned about the history of Belize, about its people and the traditional uses of some plants.

I have learned more about a variety of plants. One of these is PUT. Yes, PUT. What is PUT? PUT is Mayan for Papaya. The scientific name is Carica papaya from the Family Caricaeeae. Papaya aids in healing of wounds and infections. The milky sap has been used to treat a variety of warts. The boiled root has been used for the treatment of venereal disease. The ripe fruit is helpful for constipation, congestion of the liver and as a diuretic. There are many studies on the effectiveness of Papaya for a variety of bacterial infections.


A Mayan tale: Planting a Papaya tree too close to a house will cause the man of the household to become lazy.

Until tomorrow...

No comments:

Post a Comment