Wednesday, October 27, 2010

OCTOBER 27, 2010 JOY OF EMU






"Real joy comes NOT from ease or riches or from the praise of others, BUT from doing something worthwhile"

“Who is the happiest of men? He who values the merits of others, and in their pleasure takes joy, even as though t'were his own.”

“Joy is the feeling of grinning inside.”


I try to do something worthwhile everyday. I want to bring joy to others as well as myself. Last night I finished my VanGogh needlepoint. I value the merits of others. I am happy for those who do good in this world.

What brings you JOY? Are you joyful ? If you think joy comes from riches or from the praise of others you are mistaken. I do not do worthwhile things to get praise or accolades. I do it because I want to--without expectations. I feel my heart swell when I am joyful. My hobbies bring me joy and increase my self esteem. Who doesn't want a higher self -esteem.


We know that foods cannot cure disease, but the right foods can help. This is the case for ARTHRITIS. Better choices of food can make you feel better. As we get older we all have cracks, aches and pops. Sounds like the Snap, Crackle, Pop cereal when I was growing up. But simple small changes in your diet will yield big rewards in how you feel.


A good choice of protein that will make you feel better is fatty fish. I would chose fish that are low in mercury such as Pacific Salmon and Sardines. I prefer to get my fish from www.vitalchoice.com. These fish contain high amounts of omega 3. Omega 3 is also found in Emu. There are emu farms across the United States now. Those who do not east fish can eat emu, walnuts, pumpkin seeds, flax seeds and soy beans (if you are not hypothyroid) for omega 3. What is an emu? LOOK above.

I have been using Vitamin D3 is high doses for many years. It is only recognized today that high dose Vitamin D3 is beneficial. I usually recommend 5,000mg/day and sometimes up to 15,000mg/day but this does depend on the individual patient's blood levels. Olive oil contains oleocanthal, which blocks enzymes involved in inflammation. I prefer olive oil to any oil.

Consume foods especially fruits and vegetables rich in Vitamin C. A Canadian study of 1,317 men found that those who got 1,500 milligrams of vitamin C through food or supplements daily had a 45% lower risk of gout (a painful condition also known as gouty arthritis) than those who consumed less than 250 milligrams a day. But don’t shoot for such high doses if you have osteoarthritis. Duke University researchers found that animals who took high doses of vitamin C – the equivalent of 1,500-2,500 milligrams a day in humans – over eight months suffered worse knee osteoarthritis. So moderation is key. I would rather you get Vitamin C from food than high doses of supplements because unmonitored it can pose a problem.


Low selenium may also be linked to rheumatoid arthritis. The mineral helps antioxidants clear out cell-damaging free radicals, aids the regulation of the thyroid gland and may prevent cancer. It is found in Brazil nuts. You might have to take a multi-mineral formula to get selnium.


Onions and leeks contain quercetin, an antioxidant that may inhibit inflammatory chemicals, much like aspirin and ibuprofen do. Onions are in the Garlic family- Allium. I recently have been reading a book on Allium, which I have found fascinating.

I love the herb White Willow Bark from the Salix family. This herb is the active ingredient found in aspirin without the salicyclic acid.


I also encourage you to decrease the acidic or high glycemic (high sugars) fruits and replace with berries. The magic ingredient is anthocyanins, the pigments that give cherries – and grapes, black raspberries and eggplant – their vibrancy. They’re also powerful antioxidants that cut inflammation.


I do recommend decaffeinated green tea. It contains a most powerful antioxidant, EGCG. Studies show that certain antioxidant compounds in the brew lessen the incidence and severity of rheumatoid arthritis. One University of Michigan study found that epigallocatechin-3-gallate (EGCG) lowers production of inflammation-causing substances in the body that cause joint damage in rheumatoid arthritis sufferers. I studied and researched Camilla (green tea) three years ago. The beneficial amount is 24-30 cups. No one I know can consume that much tea. I suggest a high potent green tea. It should be made with 90-05% of the polyphenols. See www.longevitynutritionals.com as I personally formulated a green tea with ginger and grape seed extract. “Green tea won’t take all your pain away,” but it can help reduce inflammation.

SUGAR is bad for arthritis and any disease. Some studies suggest that sugar may increase inflammation. Although it offers a quick energy boost, the high doesn’t last, which can be a drag for arthritis sufferers who already suffer from fatigue.


Sugar is also high in calories, which leads to weight gain and added pressure on your joints.

Start eating better!!!
Until tomorrow...

No comments:

Post a Comment