Saturday, November 13, 2010

NOVEMBER 13, 2010 MEMORY, TUMERIC AND INFUSED OILS



" TO BE AT PEACE IN ANY ENDEAVOR, WE MUST RELEASE OUR NEED TO CONTROL THE OUTCOME ' - Diane Dreher

Who doesn't want control ? I would rather not control the situation and let things happen as they may or as my highger power would want them to. Some people have a need to conrtol every situation. In my humble opinion, these 'folks' are never at peace. This summer I sat back and watched people take control. I cannot even describe the chaos. I teach so I always hear myself talk. Sometimes I do not like to hear myself. People who like to take control--always and I mean always like to hear themselves TALK> Those get a high from taking control. I yearn for peace. Peace comes from within myself. I have released the need to control any situation long time ago. I did that with volunteering and I am free. I am happy joyous and free. I also pray for those who always want control or need it as it has been studied that their own life span decreases with this control or power. Do you always want to take control?
Do you yearn to be at peace ?

Until tomorrow...




More than 5 million people have Alzheimer's Disaese (AD) in the United States. It is ranked as the 6th leading cause of death. AD destroys brain cells causing major memory loss. Studies show that genetics play role, but i feel dietary lifestyle tugs on the rope which starts the process. From the first diagnosis made in 1906 by German Physician, Alois Alzheimer, the progression of the disease is shattering to the family despite all our technological advancement. Of course we have had advancement with this disease. We have MRI, CT, and PET scans where we can see tangles and/or plaques. We have new medications. Let's go back to the basics: dietary changes, exercise changes, proper sleep, proper hydration and avoiding environmental toxins as mercury, lead, and aluminum.
I utilize vitamins and supplements in patients with AD. I utilize fish oils ( higher DHA versus EPA), phosphatidyl choline, phosphatidyl serine, acetyl L - carnitine,
prevagen, and herbs. The herbs are from the vinca plant . I utilize vinpocetine. I also use high dose Vitamin D ( as I have for many years before it became so popular), niacinamide and EGCG ( frrom camiella- green tea) Studies have now been conducted on high dose tumeric. I have discussed Tumeric ( Curcuma longa ) in the past. It is a very useful antiinflammatory herb. Studies show curcumina has great potential for enhancing brain health. It is difficult for curcumin as well as other herbs to sustain high levels in the blood. Thanks to UCLA researchers and scientists we now have Longvida (R). It can not only enter the blood stream but can cross the blood brain barrier to be useful in patients with AD.
The three other essential nutrients are:
1. Green Tea ( high dose EGCG) - Gforce ( www.longevitynutritionals.com)
2. Vitamin D3 - I prefer liquid to achieve higher levels
3. Nicotinamide ( a form of Vitamin B3)

Other herbs that feed our brains:
1. Ashwaganda
2. Ginkgo
3. Ginseng
4. Gotu kola

As promised I want to teach you all how to make an infused oil. It is not difficult at all. Any quality vegetable oil can be used. I prefer Extra Virgin Olive Oil. Some people use almond or sesame oil.
There are two methods to infuse oils: 1. solar ( sun) infused oil or 2. Double Boiler method
I prefer the sun method. There is still sun today. Place your herb of choice and the oil in a glass container. Place in a warm sunny spot and let sit for two weeks. Strain the oil through a cheesecloth. Squeeze every bit of oil out of the herb. Then add a fresh piece of the herb to the oil bottle. Let that sit for an additional 2 weeks.
If you start next week you can have infused oils ready for Christmas gifts.
So we do not have sun. Buy a double boiler ( a pot within a pot) Place both oil and herb int he top pan . Water int he lower pan Slowly heat for 30 minutes DO NOT BOIL THE WATER. Strain the herb through a cheesecloth as above. You are done. Some herbalists then place in a refrigerator. I do not.

Until tomorrow...

No comments:

Post a Comment