Friday, November 5, 2010

NOVEMBER 5, 2010 MAKE YOUR OWN LINIMENT





" As we walk thru life, we are building our own reference material. Make the most of it by making it mean something"


All of us have had different experiences in our lives. These are your individualized building blocks which can be used for future reference. You can always reflect on this reference material. Sometimes you do not remember these references and make the same mistakes again and again. I have been there. Have you been there and made the same mistakes ? Today I make the most of my reference material from my experiences. This Summer I definitely built a lot of reference material for the future. I have no regrets on my summer volunteer services and the donations raised. I would do it again for a different organization with different individuals. I can always use that experience for the future. My reference material is varied as should yours be. As I walk thru life we also meet different people, some become friends, and some become our extended family. I can make build reference material from these meetings and encounters. I must always remember that I am only accountable and responsible for me. I cannot control any one's behaviors or easily said, " What he /she will do?" I may not be happy or distressed on hearing something that someone will do, but in order to continue --I must let it go. What do you have to let go of. I can also do the same with 'true' family members through years of spending time with them or not spending enough time with them.


Are you feeling an ache in your back? Are your knees bothering you ? I am among the the plants and trees this weekend. It is cold, rainy and with light snow showers. I want to discuss liniments. A Liniment (or embrocation), from the Latin linere, to anoint, is a medicated topical preparation for application to the skin. Preparations of this type are also called balm. Liniments are of a similar viscosity to lotions (being significantly less viscous than an ointment or cream) but unlike a lotion a liniment is applied with friction; that is, a liniment is always rubbed in.

Liniments are typically sold to relieve pain and stiffness, such as from sore muscles or from arthritis. These liniments typically are formulated from alcohol, acetone, or similar quickly evaporating solvents. Some liniments contain counter irritant aromatic chemical compounds such as methyl salicilate, benzoin resin or capsaicin.

How much do you pay for a liniment ? Probably too much. You can make it yourself. This would be self esteem able and it will work. If you have been reading the blogs, you will know some of the herbs that are used for arthritis and muscle aches. These liniments might even make a good gift for someone. These herbal liniments are driven deeper into the skin. Some of the advantages of liniments over other herbal preparations as salves, oils, and lotions is that liniments are cleaner. No mess !
No grease. Liniments are herbs/plants in isopropyl alcohol. Isopropyl alcohol is three times more toxic than alcohol. It must not be drunk. Isopropyl alcohol is regular rubbing alcohol. So instead of buying witch hazel , make your own witch hazel liniment.

Buy a bottle of isopropyl alcohol.
Buy some witch hazel or arnica herb from www.mountainroseherbs.com
( Remember arnica is a genus with about 30 perennial, herbaceous species, belonging to the sunflower family (Asteraceae)
Cover all the herb with isopropyl alcohol.
Put in a dark closet. Every day turn the bottle upside down twice.
After two weeks, pur of into a nice square or round jar.
You now have made either arnica or witch hazel liniment.

Other herbs you can sue for liniments are cayenne, goldenseal and wintergreen.
Remember if you have dry skin, a liniment will make it dryer. The reason is that alcohol is not good for dry skin.

More medicine making tomorrow...

No comments:

Post a Comment