Monday, November 8, 2010

NOVEMBER 8, 2010 MUSHY....MUSHY...MUSHROOM






" WHAT MAKES HUMILITY SO DESIRABLE IS THE MARVELOUS THING IT DOES TO US; IT CREATES IN US A CAPACITY FOR THE CLOSEST POSSIBLE INTIMACY WITH GOD'

Humility. How do you define humility ? Is it different from being humble? Being humble does show. It has been said that humility is like your underwear, essential, but indecent if it shows. I do not ever want my humility to show. I do not think I had humility while in school, even when I studied abroad. My twelve step program has taught me what humility is. I try to lose myself in something bigger than myself. This will allow me not only to have energy, but to practice humility. I am human. I make mistakes. Just because I have knowledge does not make me super human or above anyone. The initial MD after my name has been earned but being a medical doctor requires a 'heart' and humility. I have been fortunate that my Higher Power has been kind to me in sense of retaining information. He might have forgotten common sense when I was born. My mother always said that. My mother would be proud that I have gained some common sense through my life . I do owe Rick a huge, no the biggest hug ever for helping me with my common sense ( and life)
Practice humility. We are mere humans on this Earth to learn from mistakes we hope not to make for the next lifetime. To me, being on Earth is a test for the future.
Remmeber we are all equal regardless of race, sex, religion and (political views )

The song is from Judy Garland's Palace Montage. I have changed the words to fit how I feel about humility, herbs and Ithaca.

I played the state,
The capital,
And people said
Don't stop,
Until you attended 7Song
you haven't played the top.
For years I had it
preached to me,
And drummed into my head,
Until you play Ithaca
You might as well be dead.
A team of herbalists was
the headline
At the Majestic
Down in Seattle
But they cancelled the day,
Their professor called to say
You can start the course
at Ithaca

So, it became the Hall of Fame
The Mecca of all herbalists
When you played Ithaca
You knew that you were made
So, I hope you
understand my wondrous thrill
Cuz, herbalists are back
And I'm on the bill

So is is with gerat humility
That I stand in front of you
I am glad to play Ithaca
It is like a dream come true

The group of immune modulating herbs for the immune system are astragalus and ganoderma.
Astragalus is from the Pea Family. In chinese medicine it is referred to as Wong Chi. Some refer to it as 'Loco'weed as when horses in the area eat astragalus--they don't stop eating it. They die of starvation because the horses only want astragalus. The horses have gone crazy. Quite different from the book, " They Shoot Horses- Don't They. There are three grades of Astragalus - A, B, and C. Since astragalus is a stretchy plant it is not useful as tincture. It is better as a tea. Using the powdered astragalus in a half teaspoon of water drinking it 1 - 3 times / day is useful. I use it to balance an individual. I find it especially useful for patients with autoimmune diseases, cancer and immunodeficiency states. The problem with most individuals is all want a quick fix. Astragalus is slow to work and should be using long term especially for those diseases discussed above. Some people use it when sick , but this is not effective. Other uses for astragalus are not only immune modulating, but anti-viral, cardiotonic, chemotherapy side effects, hypertension ( high blood pressure) and as an antioxidant. There are clinical trials for astragalus use in leukopenia, HIV and cancer. This herb does inc erase the NK ( natural killer) cells. This herb can also increase tumor cell lysis.

Do you ever wander into a forest ? I would like to be able to walk into a field or forest with Rick and start to identify plants. I can key out plants using two guides, Gleason and Conquest and Newcombe Wildflower Guide. I never in my wildest dreams would think that I would be able to identify any plant anywhere in the world, let alone in New York State.
I want to able to see mushrooms on a fallen Oak or Birch tree and pick it and eat it. I do not want to die eating the mushroom nor go into liver ( hepatic ) failure. I want to make sure I do not eat a 'Destroying Angel' ( a toxic poisonous mushroom) I do not think that is a nice name for a mushroom. So the next group of immune modulating herbs for the Immune System are the Mushrooms. I have discussed mushroom use in the Herbs and Cancre. It also appears on my new practice website , www.fratellonemedical.com. The mushrooms are Polypore Mushroom. This means they grow as brackets on trees. The divisions of mushrooms are thew following:

1. Ganoderma ( Reishi)
2. Turkey Tails ( Trametes)
3. Hen of the Woods (Maitake) also called Grifolia

There are 3 species of Ganoderma. They are the following
1. G. applanatum
2. G. tsugae
3. G lucidum


G. applanatum
not used as much for medicine. It is not specific for any partiuclar tree, whereas G. lucidum is specific for the hardwood trees. The G. applanatum is unique as you can draw on the bottom side of the mushroom. All three species are refrred to as Conch. In Chinese the Reishi mushroom is referred as Ling Shi. The G. tsugae species grows particualrly on the Hemlock. It is referred to as the Varnished Conch. Another difference is that the G. applanatum is perannial where as the other two mushrooms are annual.
Through the years I have seen different practitioners use a variety of mushrooms. After reading about these fungi, I notice that every herbalist has their own views. I have not made up my viewpoint yet. This is what I love about learning-it is a process and progress--not perfection.

More immune system herbs tomorrow

Until tomorrow...
Photographs:

Top 1: G applanatum
2nd: G applanatum - look at white underside
3rd: G. tsugae
Bottom: G. lucidem

No comments:

Post a Comment