Thursday, November 25, 2010

NOVEMBER 25, 2010 TWO WORDS: THANKS GIVING





" Real thanksgiving is thanks-living and giving; three little words"


The times have changed, conditions of the world have altered and are changing rapidly, but when such a holiday occurs it takes me back to my childhood in simpler days and ways. The family ideals which were always inspired in holiday seasons are ideals that are ever old. Yet these thankful ideas are always fresh and new. Today is Thanksgiving- a day of giving and living.
Today in New York City it is a busy morning. Since 1924 there has been a Macy's Thanksgiving Day Parade. Today was no exception. The first real balloon was Felix the Cat in 1927 and Mickey Mouse in 1934. Millions of people gather early to get a good look at the floats, the bands, the balloons and of course, Santa Claus. The subway was crowded with strollers. The children getting excited to see the parade--possibly their first. I remember when my Mom and Dad took my brother and I to the parade. We went with their friends from the Knights of Columbus. I recall the feature balloon that year was either Underdog or Smoky the Bear. As a father I experienced what many parents experienced this morning. I remember sipping hot chocolate on the parade route under blankets with my children. It was memorable. As they got older we went to the Inflation of the Balloons on West 81st the night before. This morning, I watched the parade from the 10th floor window facing east at Roosevelt Hospital. I got excited all over again especially when I saw the Uncle Sam
balloon.
Today appreciate your blessings.



The physician's heart is the most important aspect of a medical practice. States by Sir William Osler---of the three factors in practice- heart, head and pocket, to our credit be it said, the first named is the most important. The heart is the most important. Not because I am a cardiologist, nor because it is the most essential organ of the body, but because without a 'real' heart in a physician neither the patient nor the physician will ever know what true medicine is. The physician without a heart will never appreciate the person behind their disease. All physicians need a clear head and a kind heart. Both must be cultivated. I am not here to get all I can out of my life, but chosen to be here to try to make the lives of others happier.
I do not want to discuss any medical topic today.
I want to give thanks to all individuals that have crossed my path in my lifetime.
I must thank my Higher Power for giving, and allowing me to be here today to even write these words.
The notes of sadness and daily medical tragedies would be insupportable were it not relieved by the spectacle of heroism and devotion displayed by my patients, my life partner, Rick, my children, Gregory and Alyssa, Fred and Nancy and countless others.


THANK YOU

Until tomorrow...

No comments:

Post a Comment