Tuesday, November 23, 2010

NOVEMBER 23, 2010 FINDING THE SWEET POTATOE WITHIN






" MAKE IT YOUR GOAL TO BE SOMEONE THAT YOU WOULD LIKE TO SPEND TTHE REST OF YOUR LIFE WITH"

Thanks Karen

The above if read too fast might read find someone that you would like to spend the rest of your life with. It doesn't say that. It states for YOU to be someone that you would like to spend the rest of your life with. This means YOU. Would you spend the rest of your life with yourself if there could be a double of you ? What character or personality traits do you like or dislike about yourself ? During my work with the twelve steps I read a book called " Finding the Boyfriend Within" It changed my perspective about me. Although it is geared towards gay men I have used a lot of what I learned in that book to help people find the girlfriend within themselves , or the friend within themselves or the spouse within themselves. You cannot be happy with another individual if you are not happy yourself. You have to help you first, if you wish to help others in your life. I do not like the fact that I talk to much when within a group. I listen but I always want to interject. Not nice. I get so excited about a variety of topics that I want to share it, and sometimes interrupt conversations. Not nice. I do not like the fact that I can be impulsive. Not nice. It is great that I am aware and acknowledge these character defects, but it is the acceptance of those defects that can be tricky. I have accepted my flaws. Remember no one is perfect. If you accept the flaws it is easier to work on them. It is all about the three (3) A's - AWARENESS, ACKNOWLEDGMENT AND ACCEPTANCE. Change creates fear, but in the long run you will see the positive results in you. You will even see people change because they have recognized a new you. For today , I must work on listening to my partner, family and friends. What would like to work on today. JUST FOR TODAY --


As Thanksgiving approaches, start to prepare yourself for more food than you normally eat. Eat smart. I consider this Holiday the first deadly sin of the three- The next one is Christmas and /or Hanukkah and third is New Years. It is a food fest from the 25th of November till January 1st 2011. There will be lots of eating and drinking.
I wait for two dishes on Turkey Day. One is sweet potatoes and the other is pumpkin pie. Sweet potatoes are rich in nutrients, velvety smooth in texture and sweet on the tongue. The sweet potato is particularly complemented by spicy or sweet southern-style recipes. I know some people add marsh mellows or extra sugar to the sweet potato. I do not understand why. The sweet potatoes can be pureed, mashed, in a casserole or spice-rubbed. Do you cook sweet potatoes for the holiday ? Try one of these warming, hospitable sweet potato dishes for Thursday. Are there health benefits if you eat a sweet potato ? Of course there are.

Sweet potato is rich in Vitamin A (beta carotene) and Vitamin C. Both Vitamins A and C are powerful antioxidants that work in the body to remove free radicals, this free radicals are chemicals that damage cells.Sweet potato is good for stomach ulcers and inflamed conditions of the colon. There are some small studies on lowering blood pressure. I rather eat artichoke hearts !
Sweet potatoes may be helpful for hemorrhoid because of its high fiber content.
Sweet potato is a good food for people involved in heavy muscular work, since this food is high in vitamins and minerals. Due to the high dose of Vitamin A, it can help reduce the cancer risk. Diabetics sometimes avoid sweet potatoes, because of the word ' sweet' However a sweet potato has a lower glycemic index ( sugar load) than a white potato. I encourage diabetics to eat sweet potatoes. I also tell people to order sweet potato fries instead of french fries. Do you think McDonalds or Burger King will ever sell sweet potato fries ?
This is what is in a sweet potato:

Nutritive Values : Per 100 gm.

Vitamin A : 7,700 I.U.
Vitamin B : Thiamine .09 mg.;
Riboflavin : .05 mg.
Niacin : .6 mg.
Vitamin C : 22 mg.
Calcium : 30 mg.
Iron : .7 mg.
Phosphorus : 49 mg.
Potassium : 300 mg.
Fat : .7 gm.
Carbohydrates : 27.9 gm.
Protein : 1.8 gm.
Calories : 123

Not bad for your dietary lfiestyle change.

Until tomorrow...

No comments:

Post a Comment