Thursday, November 4, 2010

NOVEMBER 4, 2010 COURAGE






" COURAGE IS WHAT IT TAKES TO STAND UP AND SPEAK. COURAGE IS ALSO WHAT IT TAKES TO SIT DOWN AND LISTEN." - Winston Churchill

Courage. When I think of that word, I can't help but think of Bert Lahr as the Cowardly Lion from the 1939 Wizard of Oz. The lyrics are memorable.

Courage! What makes a King out of a slave?
Courage! What makes the flag on the mast to wave?
Courage! What makes the elephant charge his tusk, in the misty mist or the dusky dusk?
What makes the muskrat guard his musk?
Courage! What makes the sphinx the seventh wonder?
Courage! What makes the dawn come up like thunder?
Courage! What makes the Hottentot so hot? What puts the "ape" in apricot?


What have they got that I ain't got?
Courage is what I lacked growing up . I never would speak up on MY behalf. I always took a sitting role. Today is certainly different. I know to speak up on my behalf not only to just be heard. I speak up for my beliefs. I speak up if something is right or wrong. I speak up on advocating patient rights. I speak up on Herbal Medicine and other modalities of Medicine. I speak up if I do not like what a friend/family member is doing. Whether I change their mind, why hold back. If those I speak up to decide not to communicate with me any longer--well then so be it. I must have 'stung a nerve' or 'pushed a button." I do not maliciously speak up to hurt anybody. If you speaking up to hurt someone, then you are doing it for the wrong reason. ! I am only going to build a resentment and get angry for the future. The difference is I do not like drama, so I know when to sit down, breathe and relax. Do you have courage? Do you speak up on your behalf? Do you know when to sit down and listen? Take the cotton out of your ears and place it in your mouth and listen. The point is are you a good listener?


Do you have the courage to do Pilates?

Invented more than 80 years ago by Joseph Pilates, this series if exercises place intense concentration on your abdominal muscles. So besides having a beautiful flat stomach ( which we all want, including me) these strong abdominal muscles will improve your balance and coordination.
I am writing this as much for you as for me. I am going to try to do this for the New Year, It will allow you to do better at other exercise
Pilates works the deepest layer of your abdominal muscles to completely reshape and realign your body. I like the concept that Pilates works your body as a unit starting with the core and strengthening upward and outward. I also like the idea that during these pilate moves, I will be working my muscles through a fuller range of motion.
I must tell you about anatomy. Here is today’s Anatomical Lesson 101

1. Four (4) muscles make up the abdomen

a. rectus abdominus
b. transverse abdominus
c. internal obliques
d. external obliques

The Pilates exercise also strengthen the area below the navel which is weakest part of the rectus, despite the fact you might do crunches and weight lift.

Nine Principles of Pilates:
1. Concentration
2. Breathing
3. Control
4. Center focus
5. Fluidity
6. Precision
7. Imagination
8. Intuition
9. Integration --- the basis of my life is to integrate all disciples of medicine
BODY, MIND and SPIRIT

Benefits of Pilates:

1. A healthy supple spine
2. Better balance
3. More coordination
4. Less pain and stiffness
5. Gentle way to condition
6. Improved mental outlook
7. Increased motivation

And finally…. The Better Looking Me and You
Until tomorrow...

No comments:

Post a Comment