Monday, November 22, 2010

NOVEMBER 22, 2010 HERBAL REVOLUTION





" We all have ability. The difference is how we use it. " Stevie Wonder


This statement can be said of John F Kennedy. He had the ability and knew how to use it. However his life was shortened 47 years ago today. Most of us know where we were when we heard the news. For weeks after this saddened day, the news had quotes and photographs of JFK. The photograph of John Jr saluting his father's casket is never forgotten. " And so, my fellow Americans, ask not what your country can do for you; ask what you can do for your country " will be forever on the tips of our tongues. The next is my favorite JFK quote: "As we express our gratitude, we must never forget that the highest appreciation is not to utter words, but to live by them. "

Do you have ability ? You do. First recognize it. Then use it. Put the ability into action. I knew I had ability to help people. I lost that ability or didn't trust my ability when I attended my twelve step program. I felt I didn't have a lot to give. I knew I had the brains, but couldn't put it into action. I didn't have a supporting life partner at that time. So last night, " Bells are Ringing" had lyrics that summed up what happened which seems so long ago. I NOW have the supporting partner in life. I began to use the ability , my Higher Power has given me--Just in Time...

Just in time you’ve found me just in time
Before you came my time was running low
I was lost the losing dice were tossed
My bridges all were crossed nowhere to go
Now you hear now I know just where I’m going
No more doubt of fear I’ve found my way
For love came just in time
you’ve found me just in time
And changed my lonely nights that lucky day
Just in time

Before you came my time was running low oh baby
I was lost the losing dice were tossed
My bridges all crossed nowhere to go
Now you hear now I know just where I’m going
No more doubt of fear I’ve found my way
For love came just in time you’ve found me
just in time
And changed my lonely nights and changed
my lonely nights
And changed my lonely nights and changed
my lonely nights
And changed my lonely nights that lucky day




I am in awe of individuals living on a farm. I am not jealous but envious of those that can do that. I want to do that. I want to get about 15 friends together and all invest in farm. It would a place to for all of us to get back down to the earth. It sounds idealistic but it is a dream. At the American herbal Guild conference I listened to William Siff. He is an acupuncturist and herbalist who founded the Goldthread Herbal Apothecary and Farm. I love their concepts of community supported agriculture.
Goldthread Herb Farm is a Medicinal Herb Farm nestled in the hills of Conway, Massachusetts. The farm is situated on a south facing hilltop, surrounded by hundreds of acres of mixed conifers and hardwoods, teeming with wildlife, and blessed with abundant streams and brooks.I am hoping to make a trip there next summer between beekeeping in Fire Island. The area has a long history and commitment to agriculture and land stewardship and we are proud to be a part of this tradition.
You must read their website:
" At Goldthread, our goal is to provide a source for Organically grown and sustainably Wild Harvested Medicinal plants and plant preparations that are of the highest quality and crafted with the greatest care and attention to detail. Providing these here at our Apothecary reflects our commitment to the understanding that the health of the individual, and the community is inextricably connected to the health of our ecosystems. It is our hope that these medicines enhance your well being, enliven your senses, and provide you with as much fulfillment as we receive from growing them."

Our ancestors had the answer. Think about it --your own grandmothers had remedies made from herbs. Reclaim the ability to take care of yourself, your family and friends by having a garden and growing herbs. Become involved.
This is the new grassroots health revolution--not new to me, but possibly new to all of you reading this. As individuals, we can come together as a community in the spirit of cooperation and learn to plant seeds, love plants and use the herbs.
You can try to start this is your community...
Rick and I had this dream to start with recycling in Cherry Grove Fire Island. It didn't work --too much drama and politics--but we will start on a slower pace . Start with growing herbs and sharing them and collecting honey.

Until tomorrow...

No comments:

Post a Comment