Sunday, November 28, 2010

NOVEMBER 28, 2010 CAN YOU RESET YOUR BIOLOGICAL CLOCK ?









"YOU GIVE BUT LITTLE WHEN YOU GIVE OF YOUR POSSESSIONS. IT IS WHEN YOU GIVE OF YOURSELF THAT YOU TRULY GIVE."

"LIFE'S MOST PERSISTENT AND URGENT QUESTION IS, WHAT ARE YOU DOING FOR OTHERS?"

Both quotes ask what are you doing for others. Do you give yourself freely to others. I feel it is important to give to others. I try to do that to the best of my ability 100% of the time. I have found that I must also give to myself, in order to effectively give to others. This is important especially in any profession that gives, like the health care profession. The giving to myself is my various hobbies, my meditation time, my prayer and for me writing this blog. It helps me to ground myself as I write. Writing has been a good therapy for me. Needlework and knitting has been the other.

The second quote by Martin Luther King, Jr asks " What are you doing for others?" What did you do for another individual today? For the past five years I gave selflessly to others as a volunteer physician. It was rewarding, yet sometimes stressful. Moving on is healthy. I know at the Holiday time, I do a Children's Toy Drive and this year will donate to the New York City Coat Drive, but I do need to do a year long volunteer project. Or do I?

Yesterday I was sharing tips to slow the aging process. I want to reset your biological clock. I know I have been trying to reset mine for years. Dietary lifestyle and exercise changes have been two of my stepping stones in my 7 steps to a healthy lifestyle. With those two you must drink more water and have your physician discuss your body composition and weight. If your doctor cannot do it, see a nutritionist or nutrition advisor.

The ideal body weight is based on body mass index. Men should have a body fat composition less than 18% and females less than 22%. Did you know that by increasing your muscle mass you help reduce insulin sensitivity (which leads to diabetes) and other hormonal regulation? Another tip to slow aging is to stop nicotine. This is difficult. I should know.

Alcohol is very controversial. We do know that red wines are effective in certain biological processes since they contain resveratrol. Studies indicate 20 grams or a 6 oz glass of red wine is beneficial, however MORE is not better. MORE has detrimental health consequences. I am not an avid proponent of using alcohol to get your resveratrol content. I advocate using resveratrol in capsule form. I also know it is important to realize for yourself if you drink too much. Only you can accept this concept. Friends and family might have spoken those words. Remember the 3 A's: Awareness, acknowledgement and acceptance is the key.


There is no proof that any specific vita nutrient, mineral or supplement can prolong life. But there is no proof that they cannot either. If a nutrient has no harm to you if taken the correct way-then why wouldn't you take it? We do know that diet alone cannot allow you to obtain every mineral and vitamin. Studies indicate that co enzyme Q10, EGCG ( found in green tea) Vitamin C, D and the B can increase life expectancy in rats. What I do caution is that more sometimes is not better, as is the case with iron, beta-carotene and vitamin E. Be informed and be educated.


New studies have shown that increasing blood levels of glutathione, a powerful intracellular anti-oxidant can reduce the complications of heart attacks, strokes and some cancers. I believe in administering glutathione intravenously. For those who are not fond of needles, you can take glutathione in powdered form. Some know that the precursor to glutathione is N-acetyl cysteine. Unfortunately you would have to take many 300 or 600 mg capsules to achieve the same effect as powdered or intravenous glutathione.

Personally, having a tablespoon of wildflower honey (raw honey) with its bactericidal effects against many organisms will increase life expectancy. Who could argue with a 2000 year old tradition?

I got it! A new volunteer project/hobby: Beekeeping and giving the honey to friends
Until tomorrow...

1 comment:

  1. If you haven't reviewed Protandim, its worth a look with its 6 peer reviewed published studies.

    Regarding Glutathione - here's what it does.

    New Study Proves Protandim Produces 300% Increase in Glutathione, a Key Antioxidant and Anti-aging Factor

    http://www.drugs.com/clinical_trials/new-study-proves-protandim-produces-300-increase-glutathione-key-antioxidant-anti-aging-factor-6271.html

    ReplyDelete