Tuesday, November 16, 2010

NOVEMBER 16, 2010 CHILDREN AND HERBS






A truly rich man is one whose children run into his arms when his hands are empty. ~Author Unknown

How many fathers can say the above is true? It is true for me. I wouldn't say it was always this way. As a father whose children's home was not conventional I wanted to compensate. And overcompensate. Any child of a diverse home or rather the terminology " broken home " will be over compensated by one or both of the parents. Where does the term " broken home" come from ? It sounds awful to speak those words. It is almost like whispering the word " Cancer" in the Neil Simon play, 'Lost in Yonkers' Early in the separation I over compensated for everything in my life. I was at a loss. I wanted no one in my life to want for anything. I literally 'bought ' relationships - I couldn't go into a store a buy myself something just for me, without feeling guilty by the other individual involved if I didn't buy them something also. I gently look back at the past and smirk. Why do we as individuals do these things to ourselves ?
As my own children got older they began to see some reality. They allowed me to see what I was allowing others to do to me. Yet, I allowed this to happen. Any individual must look at a situation and ask " What was my role in this situation" I have careful looked at my role. I now understand it and Move On. The children guided the parent. How fortunate I was. Today I am a grateful father. The role is still parent-child but hopefully friends. It does make an enormous difference when your life partner is also a friend to your children. Respect and trust is key. No--communciation is the key. Do you truly communicate with your children? Can your children talk to you about anything ?


Once in a while you might find a child to take herbal medicine. The other night my son ( age 20 ) took a tincture of yarrow and chapparal. If you have ever tasted chapparal--it is nasty, but works wonderful 'magic' for infections. As a child he wouldn't take anything. I would have to create some sort of game or challenge for him to even take cough syrup. As a father who happens to be a doctor I understand the difficulties parents have with medications as well as dietary changes. Do you remember your parents giving you whiskey for your toothache ? I know parents want to give alcohol free tinctures to their children which are called glycerin based. I do not think this is a must. There is not enough alcohol in a tincture to disturb the child.
For your child's toothache give them a tea of catnip. yes , I said catnip. I dockered it up with wild flower honey, lemon balm and spearmint. My son liked the taste I think it was the wildflower honey.
I recommend reading " Herbal Treatment of Children" by Anne McIntyre. I thoroughly enjoyed Ms. McIntyre approach in discussing both the Western and Ayurvedic Perspectives. In you want to make an herbal formula for your kids also consult any of Rosemary Gladstar's books. I used her Herbal Medicinal Preparation(1989) as a guide for treating my children.

Until tomorrow...



Dedicated to my children


Lullabye

From album " Sweet Dreams" Michael Ferreri

Goodnight, my angel
Time to close your eyes
And save these questions for another day
I think I know what you've been asking me
I think you know what I've been trying to say
I promised I would never leave you
And you should always know
Wherever you may go
No matter where you are
I never will be far away

Goodnight, my angel
Now it's time to sleep
And still so many things I want to say
Remember all the songs you sang for me
When we went sailing on an emerald bay
And like a boat out on the ocean
I'm rocking you to sleep
The water's dark
And deep inside this ancient heart

[ From: http://www.metrolyrics.com/lullabye-lyrics-billy-joel.html ]

You'll always be a part of me

Goodnight, my angel
Now it's time to dream
And dream how wonderful your life will be
Someday your child may cry
And if you sing this lullabye
Then in your heart
There will always be a part of me

Someday we'll all be gone
But lullabyes go on and on...
They never die
That's how you
And i
Will be

Photographs:
TOP: Recent June 12, 2010 at my 50th
The REST: In my archives for good memories

1 comment: